none
TFS branch concepts such as children, ancestors, related, root

Question

• I found there are some concepts used by TFS and tfpt such as children/ancestors/related/root branch.

But where I can find the office definition of these concepts? if not, what is the content and context of them?

it is helpful for branch related questions. e.g. when I try to reparent a branch, what is the choice list of the parent branch of it?

Monday, January 13, 2014 7:18 AM

Answers

• Hi MVLC, 

Thanks for your reply.

Ancestors: include all branches staring from the parent branch up to the root branch.

Children: include the immediate child branches.

Related: include other branches with a merge relationship.

I think you’re right.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 11:39 AM
  • Another relation you migth encounter is a sibling. Which are two children that share the same parent branch, but have no direct merge-relation.

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:26 PM

All replies

• Hi MVLC,  

Thanks for your post.

There’s no that concepts in official document. For TFS branch strategically, please refer to the useful information in this document: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee782536.aspx.

In TFS, one branch only has one parent. How to reparent a branch, please refer to the step 2 in this post answer reply.    

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, January 13, 2014 10:12 AM
  • Many things are explained in the ALM Rangers' TFS Branching guide: http://vsarbranchingguide.codeplex.com/

Basic information can be found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181237.aspx

If you have specific questions on concepts, don't hesitate to ask. Please provide in which context you found the keyword, because some keywords are used in more than one context.

Monday, January 13, 2014 1:22 PM
  • I have read the links, but I am still not sure about the concepts.

Here I try to answer my own questions according to the results of running "tfpt branches /listbranches", if I am wrong, please correct me.

1. what is the ancestor branch of a branch.

• one branch only has one parent branch
    • ancestor branches = parent branch+ grand parent branch + grand grand branch

2. what is the children branch of a branch.

• son branches.

3.what is the related branch of a branch

• the branch has merge link to this branch.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:28 AM
  • Hi MVLC, 

Thanks for your reply.

Ancestors: include all branches staring from the parent branch up to the root branch.

Children: include the immediate child branches.

Related: include other branches with a merge relationship.

I think you’re right.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 11:39 AM
  • Another relation you migth encounter is a sibling. Which are two children that share the same parent branch, but have no direct merge-relation.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:26 PM
  • really? when I decompile tfpt, I just got

private enum ListBranchesOptions
        {
          Children = 1,
          Ancestors = 2,
          Related = 4,
          Roots = 8,
          Default = Related | Ancestors | Children,
        }

And the reparent function of tfpt is available on tfpt 2010 or not?

Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:21 AM
  • Hi MVLC, 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I think so. If you have installed TFS 2010 Power Tools, you can check it on your client.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:57 AM