none
ADO.NET Data Entity Model Template missing in VS 2010 Ultimate

Question

• I am trying to add this and the template for it is missing.  This is a brand new install of VS2010 Ultimate.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:43 AM

Answers

• Try using the following and it should restore your templates to their default state:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms247116.aspx

HTH,

Jonathan

JA
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 2:53 AM
  • I looked at the install logs for VS and it reported several components as not being installed correctly, one of them being the EF4 tools package.

I then tried to install this manually but apparently the MSI file only allows you to execute it as part of the VS installer.

However, in the SDK there is a tool called Orca (c:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\bin\Orca.msi) that allows you to edit MSI files and I was able to delete the three checks in the file and complete the installation, which did give me the desired templates and tooling in VS.

For the record, the key to delete in the MSI file s called CA_BlockDirectInstallOfMSI_x86_enu.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8.

Now, off to the next failed package...

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 3:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am also using VS2010 RTM Ultimate (10.0.30319.1).   ADO.NET Entity Data Model is showed in my console, winform, WPF, Class Library, Silverlight, ASP.NET MVC 2, WCF and WCF Data Services projects. 

Besides, please check whether the project is targeted to at least .NET 3.5.   Also you can check whether the ADO.NET Entity Data Model template is installed correctly in your machine.  The C# template are under the folder \Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\10.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSSharp\Data\1033\AdoNetEntityDataModelCSharp.zip. 

Thanks
    Lingzhi Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, May 03, 2010 3:28 PM
  • I am also having this problem and do not see the these templates anywhere in the file system (did a complete scan to make sure they weren't somewhere else).

I have also just tried repairing VS 2010 to see if that would help. In case it matters, my installation is fairly sparse (as in, I did not install a local SQL Server or some of the other extras).

I've searched for a place to download the templates separately but also to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Monday, May 03, 2010 10:33 PM
  • Try using the following and it should restore your templates to their default state:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms247116.aspx

HTH,

Jonathan

JA
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 2:53 AM
  • That gives me this:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC>devenv /installvstemplates

Microsoft (R) Visual Studio Version 10.0.30319.1.

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.

The operation could not be completed

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC>

Any ideas as to what could be preventing it from working?

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 3:57 AM
  • I looked at the install logs for VS and it reported several components as not being installed correctly, one of them being the EF4 tools package.

I then tried to install this manually but apparently the MSI file only allows you to execute it as part of the VS installer.

However, in the SDK there is a tool called Orca (c:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\bin\Orca.msi) that allows you to edit MSI files and I was able to delete the three checks in the file and complete the installation, which did give me the desired templates and tooling in VS.

For the record, the key to delete in the MSI file s called CA_BlockDirectInstallOfMSI_x86_enu.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8.

Now, off to the next failed package...

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 3:31 PM
  • Thanks it worked.
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:21 PM
  • I ran into this. The issue is the order by which you install. If you install VS2010 before SQL server - VS2010 will not install the ADO.NET tools; and no ammount of repairing VS2010 will fix this.

I had to uninstall VS2010 and re-install it; because SQL server is now installed - the VS2010 installer includes the ADO.NET tools.

Regards,

Phill

Friday, July 02, 2010 11:14 AM
  • This problem is giving me fits.  I have found Orca.  Where do I find the key you deleted?
    Friday, July 23, 2010 5:34 PM
  • Me too.

If you have the VS 2010 iso, extract it; if you don't have it, pop in the cd/dvd/zipdisk or whatever you have it on.
    Go to /WCU/EFTools and locate the ADONETEntityFrameworkTools_enu.msi.
    Open that MSI in orca.
    Do a search for the key mentioned above and drop it from the MSI database.  Obviously, if you're working on a CD, it will be read-only, so you'll probably want to copy the MSI and zip file (located in the same folder) to your local drive... or possibly even the entire contents of the CD.  I'm not sure exactyl what dependencies the MSI has.  I had an ISO from my MSDN Subscription, so I just extracted it to a folder.
    Save the msi and run it.

All that to say that the MSI thing didn't work for me.  Maybe it will for you.  The devenv /installvstemplates didn't work for me either, and I made sure to run everything as admin.  I think we're seeing the same symptom for multiple problems... so maybe you have a different problem than me.

I did reinstall VS2010 and it fixed my templates for a while... but now that I've come back from a week long vacation... my templates are gone again. >_<

• Proposed as answer by Andrés S Sunday, May 15, 2011 11:16 PM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 9:16 PM
  • Ok, I was having the same issue. Below are the steps that helped me resolve it.

I tried to reinstall VS 2010 utimate.... all in vain. No Luck.

After some online research got some help here ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee225240.aspx ).

I executed this command to get it to install finally.

Started the command line window as administrator and executed the command below. (drive K is where VS2010 Ultimated iso was installed).

msiexec /i K:\WCU\EFTools\ADONETEntityFrameworkTools_enu.msi USING_EXUIH=1 /log "dd_ADONETEntityFrameworkTools_enu_MSI.txt"

• Proposed as answer by Brandon [MS] Tuesday, August 14, 2012 8:07 PM
    Monday, October 25, 2010 2:23 AM
  • I have tried all these options and they all have failed.

I am targeting the 4.0 framework, so the template, at the very least for the ado.net entity framework, should exist.

fyi, I also had sql server 2008 installed first before vs 2010 got installed.

Bill Yeager
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 5:38 PM
  • I ran the "devenv /installvstemplates" at the commend prompt as it instructed in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms247116.aspx.  I still don't have ado.net entity data model.

Danyeung

Friday, December 17, 2010 12:13 AM
  • I've had the same issue.

My Problem was: Visual Studio is installed on Drive D:\, whereas the Entity Framework Installer placed the Package in c:\...\VisualStudio 10.0\Common7\....\ItemTemplates folder.

--> Copied the AdoNetEntityDataModelCSharp.zip to drive d: and ran devenv /installvstemplates.

This fixxed it for me.

Edit:

Also had to copy Various DLLs from IDE folder, PrivateAssemblies and PublicAssemblies.

then run devenv /ResetSkipPkgs

regards,

mike

• Proposed as answer by SEwind Monday, September 19, 2011 6:37 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by SEwind Monday, September 19, 2011 6:37 AM
    • Proposed as answer by SEwind Monday, September 19, 2011 6:52 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 2:33 PM
  • I've had the same issue.

My Problem was: Visual Studio is installed on Drive D:\, whereas the Entity Framework Installer placed the Package in c:\...\VisualStudio 10.0\Common7\....\ItemTemplates folder.

--> Copied the AdoNetEntityDataModelCSharp.zip to drive d: and ran devenv /installvstemplates.

This fixxed it for me.

Edit:

Also had to copy Various DLLs from IDE folder, PrivateAssemblies and PublicAssemblies.

then run devenv /ResetSkipPkgs

regards,

mike

Thank you, Mike.

This solution works for me. I've been searching and googling for this problem for hours before coming across this post.

My VS 2010 is installed in F:\, however the ADO.net Entity Data Model tools are installed into E:(with same path: \..\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp\Code\1033) with the following two template files.

AdoNetEntityDataModelT4CodeGenCSharp.zip         AdoNetEntityDataModelT4SelfTrackingCodeGenCSharp.zip

The reason for that is perhaps I installed a Visual Studio Express edition before. Although VSExpress was uninstalled, there is still some registering information in system registry.

The solution is just as Mike said:

1. copy all stuffs within directory Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\ to the correct installation path.

2. run devenv /installvstemplates

Or you can try this:

1. Uninstall VS2010,

2. Clean anything related to Visual Studio in System Registry with some cleaning software.

3. Then reinstall VS2010.

Hope it helps.

Monday, September 19, 2011 6:51 AM
  • With VS 2013 still having similar problems.... fro me work to download 

Entity Framework 6.1.0 Tools for Visual Studio 2012 & 2013 and install with repair option

download link..

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=40762

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:51 PM