Wednesday, May 09, 2012 12:32 AM
I am developing a FREE application for Windows Phone (Mango) which uses Bing Maps Silverlight control. As per the terms and conditions here
It says Bing Maps is free for windows phone developers with the following conditions
- Use is restricted to consumer-facing mobile applications
- Offer excludes use of traffic data
Since i am planning to upload my app in Windows Market place, i would consider it to be consumer facing App. My App does not use traffic data.
My App uses Location Services Rest API to determine longitude and latitude from address and vice verse.
In my Bing Maps portal i can see "Billed and Non Billled usage" listed. So my question is if i publish this FREE application in marketplace , will i be charged for it or not ??
Wednesday, May 09, 2012 11:53 AMOwner
Assuming you application meets the requirements for free use as a mobile app and you are using a Bing Maps mobile key then you are fine. The billable usage will not be charged unless you application is found not to meet the requirements as a free mobile app. Just to give a bit more details around the free use terms:
1) Use is restricted to consumer-facing mobile applications. Basically your application has to be free to the public and must not require users logging into the application.
2) Offer excludes use of traffic data. Self explainitory.
3) This must not be an asset tracking application. This is a general restriction for all free use apps.
- Marked As Answer by Richard_BrundrittMicrosoft Employee, Owner Monday, May 14, 2012 9:47 AM
Thursday, May 10, 2012 8:42 AMThanks a lot @Richard_Brundritt for the response.My app is definitely free and users need not log in.In the Bing Maps portal i have selected my Application as a mobile application. So i think my app meets the criteria to use Bing Maps free of charge. Thanks once again.