Fastest way to turn off computer

Question

• What is the fastest way to turn off PC, i havent found it on this forum.  they turned off classic start menu, so how do i suppose turn off fast from within developer preview (please dont sugest to press hardware button on my PC case). Right now i§m using ctrl+alt+delete and from that menu turning off.

By the way, its great peace of software, and its realy fast, boot time is 26s from pushing the button, and 20 of witch is just bios booting up.. so its 50% faster than my old win7, great job on that.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:18 PM

Answers

• Pust the Power button located on the PC case (or similar suitable location depending on the device type).

lol.. very funny!
    Messvk, I think the fastest way is drawing your pointer to the start button until menu appears, click on settings and click on Power button.

Maybe you can create a Bat too that launch this command: shutdown /s /full

• Marked as answer by messvk Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:27 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:23 PM

All replies

• Push the Power button located on the PC case (or similar suitable location depending on the device type).
    • Edited by MCCZ Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:21 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Logoff then shutdown, that's  how I do it. Doesn't take to long.
    Alternatively, you can do it through CMD. (shutdown /s /full)

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan

• Edited by Dylan-Meeus Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:27 PM incomplete
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:22 PM
  • Pust the Power button located on the PC case (or similar suitable location depending on the device type).

lol.. very funny!
    Messvk, I think the fastest way is drawing your pointer to the start button until menu appears, click on settings and click on Power button.

• Marked as answer by messvk Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:27 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:23 PM

lol.. very funny!

Thanx, i didnt notice that  option until you mentioned it. that was what i was looking for. Playing with win 8 for about a day and a half and i dint notice that option. thanx :D LOL

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:28 PM

lol.. very funny! 

Why it's funny? It requires a least number of "clicks" from all the solutions I've heard. And if you have it in VM, then you should have similar functionality available from the virtualization UI.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:28 PM
  • I'm not a fan of how long it takes to kill it. With 7, I could hit "windows" key, left, enter to shut down, or WLLE to hibernate. MUCH faster, much more intuitive.

This needs to be simplified.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:36 PM

lol.. very funny! 

Why it's funny? It requires a least number of "clicks" from all the solutions I've heard. And if you have it in VM, then you should have similar functionality available from the virtualization UI.

yes, it works if you are on laptop, but in my case, button on PC case is out of easy reach and i'm to lazy to move more than i have to :D
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:39 PM

lol.. very funny! 

Sorry If I didn't understand well.

I think that's a good way but only in Virtualization environment, in a physical computer you can get damage by turning off manually.

@Black, I agree with you, It has to be simplified.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:40 PM
  • Most modern PCs does not power off the electricity when you touch the Power button. Instead, they sent a message to the OS and the OS, depending on the configuration, usually starts the shutdown process. If you really want to break the electricity, you can hold the Power button for 5 second or so and the computer will be immediatelly powered off.

Or, on some computers, there is a second power off switch located on the back which works as you have stated.

• Edited by MCCZ Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:46 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:43 PM
  • Most modern PCs does not power off the electricity when you touch the Power button. Instead, they sent a message to the OS and the OS, depending on the configuration, usually starts the shutdown process. If you really want to break the electricity, you can hold the Power button for 5 second or so and the computer will be immediatelly powered off.

Or, on some computers, there is a second power off switch located on the back which works as you have stated.

Great! I didn't know that, thanks for answering!
    And... I apologize any inconvenience.

Regards,

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:48 PM
  • For a keyboard addict, Win+D to switch to desktop, then alt+F4 to show the shutdown options. Use up and down keys to change options if you want a restart instead, then press Enter.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:47 PM
  • Either disconnect the AC/DC power or remove the battery (depending on if it's a desktop or laptop). This seems to work :)
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:07 PM
  • Either disconnect the AC/DC power or remove the battery (depending on if it's a desktop or laptop). This seems to work :)

You're kidding, right? :)
    0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Monday, September 19, 2011 1:55 AM
  • That option can normally be configured within the pc's power options, altho i haven't looked at that but on win8 yet.

Try Right Click on Desktop>Personalize>Screensaver>Power Options and see what it comes up with.

Monday, September 19, 2011 2:12 PM
  • I read about Alt+F4 in other posts too but...... it does not work on my system when I am in the Metro UI.
    Fritzly
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:59 PM
  • Alt+I on keyboard, choose Power > Shut Down.  Quickest way I've found.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 4:24 PM
  • I installed Windows 8 Preview and rebooted about 3 times after updating to make sure everything fell into their own groove correctly sort of say :)

Anyhow I was fully aware of "drawing your pointer to the start button until menu appears, click on settings and click on Power button" but, it wasn't giving me that option for some reason. I actually left my mouse pointer hovering over the start button for at least 15 minutes uninterrupted and gave up on it. I just checked to see if it is okay right now and well, same thing, here we go. I think after a while it will give me the option to shut her down.

Monday, January 16, 2012 4:22 PM
  • The Task Manager is also another quick and Easy way to "GET TO THE POWER OPTIONto power down the PC safely" if you find hovering the pointer over the Start button isn't giving you the option to power down the PC.

I'll have to try the ALT + I   shortcut. Thanks sammyd2611    :)

Monday, January 16, 2012 5:14 PM
  • Fastest way.

1. TNT

2. Hammer

3. Water

4. Window

5. Pull the power cord

Need any more suggestions please let me know.

6. Give it to the myth-busters.

Monday, January 16, 2012 10:09 PM