UDP Read Through router

Question

• im using C# and have set up a simple udp client/server

how it works is when a client sends data to the server I pull the EndPoint from the socket and hold that on the server in memory so when I want to return some data back I use the sendTo function. whats going on I belive th data is hiting the router and the router has no Idea where to route the data. is there a way to fix this?

Saturday, September 16, 2006 4:32 AM

All replies

• Can you provide more information?  Is this a home (ex 4port router)?  If so, is the router configured to allow incoming UDP traffic -- many home routers are configured by default to drop most inbound traffic.
    Saturday, September 16, 2006 4:40 AM
  • I believe that the nature of UDP, unless the router is setup to broadcast UDPs, that it will not broadcast it into the other network. That is the nature of a UDP message, its a localized message.
    Saturday, September 16, 2006 2:11 PM
  • the problem here is not my router its the clients routers, Im creating a game that is going to use both TCP and UDP sockets, with whats said does each person behind a router have to configure there router to send/read udp packets or just the server portion of the project?

Saturday, September 16, 2006 2:31 PM