none
SQL Server Data Access Slower on Windows 8?

Question

• Hi everyone.  I recently upgraded my machine to Windows 8 and have noticed probably a 2 or 3 fold increase in the amount of time it takes to retrieve data from SQL Server compared to my old machine (Which shipped with Windows Vista if that gives any indication).  In fact, the Windows 8 machine is the ONLY machine (XP, Vist, 7, Server 2003) that I have run the software on that shows this slowdown...

Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea on it's cause?

Thanks Again,

-Matt-

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Matt,

Please check whether SQL Server runs under lesser memory after upgrading. Additionally, after upgrading, the execution plans which were cached in memory need to recompile which cost some time. I suggest referring to the following document to troubleshoot the issue.

SQL Server Performance Tuning
    http://blog.sqlauthority.com/sql-server-performance-tuning/

Allen Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 28, 2013 5:42 AM
  • Thank you very much.  I will take a look at that link and read through it.  Does it matter though that this is not an upgrade of Windows?  This is a new machine that shipped with Windows 8 and I installed SQL to.  Upon doing so, I've noticed that my software making use of SQL Databases runs much slower on this machine as compared to other machines in the office running other versions of Windows.

I will certainly give the link a try, but I wanted to make sure that there wasn't a difference for a clean install on a new PC.  I've never had to tune SQL Server on a clean install.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 1:16 PM
  • Hi, I am sorry, but I came down with a really bad cold, but I am going through that link today.  I wanted to just add to the above that, over the weekend I realized that on this Windows 8 Machine, the SQL Connection over VPN does not work, whereas it does work on XP, Vista, and 7...  So I don't know if that is related to the slowness...  Or perhaps because of its slowness it just never gets the response that it is expecting in the time permitted...  I guess that's more likely the case.

Thanks Again,

Monday, July 08, 2013 2:08 PM