none
Logs using too much space on C drive

Question

• Even though i have selected nothing in the diagnostic logging options, i have noticed that sharepoint sis still generating logs which is using space on my c drive of which i cannot afford. I have tried chnaging the path to a network drive but the logs dont show, so i guess that does`nt work. How can i stop these logs from generating? as i cant keep removing them every few hours.

dfrancis

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 5:59 PM

Answers

• 1st check the IIS logs as well, they are also on the C drive( default location c:\inetpub\logs\).

2) for the diagnostic logs(ULS / SharePoint logs) as Jason mentioned to move on different location. And make sure SharePoint have access to that path.

add wss_Admin_wpg & wss_wpg account as read and write. 

Also make sure the path you are selecting is available on all server( if you select different drive letter i.e E:\logs\, make sure this should exist on all server in the farm).

you can further use the TreeSize to check if anyone else taking too much space.

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

• Marked as answer by ChiefUK Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:08 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 7:26 PM

All replies

• Which logs? The SharePoint logs in 14 hive\LOGS? You can specify a new location for these in Diagnostic Logging in Central Administration:.

1. Verify that the user account that is performing this procedure is a member of the Farm Administrators SharePoint group.

2. In Central Administration, on the Home page, click Monitoring.

3. On the Monitoring page, in the Reporting section, click Configure diagnostic logging.

1. In the Trace Log section, in the Path box, type the path of the folder to which you want logs to be written.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:21 PM
  • 1st check the IIS logs as well, they are also on the C drive( default location c:\inetpub\logs\).

2) for the diagnostic logs(ULS / SharePoint logs) as Jason mentioned to move on different location. And make sure SharePoint have access to that path.

add wss_Admin_wpg & wss_wpg account as read and write. 

Also make sure the path you are selecting is available on all server( if you select different drive letter i.e E:\logs\, make sure this should exist on all server in the farm).

you can further use the TreeSize to check if anyone else taking too much space.

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

• Marked as answer by ChiefUK Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:08 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 7:26 PM