Custom Activities and adding to the Toolbox

Question

• I've created a custom activtiy derived / inherited from the HandleExternalEvent.

It compiles fine.

When I try to add it to an Activity Library by going to the ToolBox and selecting
    Choose Items / Activities and Browse to the DLL, it gives me

"System.ArgumentException:  Toolbox Service not found as Microsoft.Workflow.VSDesigner.ActivitiesToolboxPage.AddComponentsDialog.AddItems(string Filename)"

I've also tried adding this custom activity directly to a Sequential Workflow instead and I get the same thing.

What is wrong?
    Thursday, December 14, 2006 8:36 PM

Answers

• I think I figured out what was wrong.

I tried another custom activity that was derived off of CompositeActivity and it worked.

So I started looking at what it did, that I didn't.

Turns out It needs to have the DesignerAttribute and a class for the ActivityDesigner and ActivityDesignerTheme to make this work.

I am using VS .NET 2005 by the way.

Thanks for the help though.

-David
    Friday, December 15, 2006 1:24 PM

All replies

• Do you get this error message only when you derive from HandleExternalEvent or in any other custom activity too. Try deriving from CompositeActivity and see if you are getting the same error message. And lastly which version of Visual Studio do you use?

Thanks

Elif

Friday, December 15, 2006 1:48 AM
  • I think I figured out what was wrong.

I tried another custom activity that was derived off of CompositeActivity and it worked.

So I started looking at what it did, that I didn't.

Turns out It needs to have the DesignerAttribute and a class for the ActivityDesigner and ActivityDesignerTheme to make this work.

I am using VS .NET 2005 by the way.

Thanks for the help though.

-David
    Friday, December 15, 2006 1:24 PM