none
I can't Lock Branch

Question

• Hi everyone,

I have TFS 2012, team project using scrum process model. I am using (Branch per Release) strategy to isolate different versions along with have stable branch of code.

I have (Main branch, Release 1 branch, Release 2 branch). Now Release 1 is finished, so I made forward integration and reverse integration between (Main & Release 1) after all things are well at release 1.

So I created new Release 2 branch from the Main branch. The problem arises when I try to lock (Release 1), then check in, I receive following message

All of the changes were either unmodified files or locks. The changes have been undone by the server.

I don't know why this message arises and what I have to do to solve this problem ?

Wa'el Mohsen

Sunday, October 06, 2013 1:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Wa'el,

Which branch did you check in arised this message? Why do you lock Release 1 before check in? Can you elaborate more details about your scenario(list operation steps is better)? 

You can try to chech in without locking in Release 1 to see if it works fine. Make sure you checked in pending changes after integration.

Best regards,

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, October 07, 2013 6:53 AM
  • You have the wrong "Lock Branch" feature in mind. Locking all files prevents people from making changes to it, but essentially it checks out all the files to you. When you check in, all locks are removed.

Instead, there's another "Lock" option that adds a checkout-deny to the permissions of the branch, essentially preventing people from checking out (and thus changing) any files.

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Friday, October 11, 2013 10:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Wa'el,

Which branch did you check in arised this message? Why do you lock Release 1 before check in? Can you elaborate more details about your scenario(list operation steps is better)? 

You can try to chech in without locking in Release 1 to see if it works fine. Make sure you checked in pending changes after integration.

Best regards,

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, October 07, 2013 6:53 AM
  • Hi Kimi, 

Thank you for your help. I need to lock (Release 1) to prevent its modifications. So in Source Control Explorer, I right clicked (Release 1) branch, Advanced, Lock.

So Source Control displayed the icon of (checked out) besides branch node, I made (check in), then the message of (All of the changes were either unmodified files or locks. The changes have been undone by the server) appears.

I tried to check in without locking, it is working well. This message appears only when I try to lock the branch & check in the lock change.

Thank you,

Wa'el Mohsen

• Edited by Wa'el Monday, October 07, 2013 7:34 AM
    Monday, October 07, 2013 7:33 AM
  • Hi Wa'el,

There may be files checkout and locked file by someone in your team. Please check ask them to check in and unlock them. Then only you can lock the release branch.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181419(VS.80).aspx

Thanks,

Vivek

Please mark it as answer if it solve your issue Or Vote it if it is useful post for you.

Monday, October 07, 2013 7:37 AM
  • You have the wrong "Lock Branch" feature in mind. Locking all files prevents people from making changes to it, but essentially it checks out all the files to you. When you check in, all locks are removed.

Instead, there's another "Lock" option that adds a checkout-deny to the permissions of the branch, essentially preventing people from checking out (and thus changing) any files.

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Friday, October 11, 2013 10:07 AM