Cannot Install Visual SourceSafe 2005 on Windows 7-32 bit - get - Error locating vs_setup.msi

Question

• Saw lots of entries re this for installing Visual Studio 2008, which I am not doing - but anyway I found the reg key -
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0 - and renamed it.
    Didn't have the following Reg Keys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products
    \0E8BA73496BF22242B086AF4D32E5219 (VS.Net 2005) and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Patches\C7C9F39D75BA8C44AB6D414976B4AC7F (VS.2005 SP1)
    I looked thru all entries under classes\installer\products - nothing for visual anything.
    I ran the microsoft installer cleaner and removed any MS Visual anything entries
    I forget if I originally had a Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8 but if I did I got rid of it.
    All of these steps were based on all the MANY, MANY things in the internet re this error - although they are related to Visual Studio, not SourceSafe - but I still can't install the SourceSafe.  Same problem on two different pc's.  I have copied the instal local, have run the exe locally using xp compatibility and/or run as administrator - and all I get is the same error -
    Error locating vs_setup.msi

PLEASE HELP!  I see that others are able to run VSS 2005 on Win 7 - hopefully using a server based database.

Thank you, Maggie
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:12 PM

All replies

• Believe it or not, after finding a different setup.exe, but now I'm getting "setup has detected that this computer does not meet minumum requirements" and it lists XP SP2 as missing.. but I'm on Windows 7 - Ran the exe as SP3 compatibility.  Then I ran with the Vista SP1 compatibility and I think/hope I'm okay..
    While I'm here - does anyone know if I can have some developers on Visual SourceSafe 6.0 and some on Visual SourceSafe 2005 at the same time?

Thanks very much.
    - Magie
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:02 PM
  • Magie,

What setup utility did you use?  If someone made a "network installation", do you see netsetup.exe?  (I think that still exists in VSS 2005)

Jeff Clausius - SourceGear
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:38 PM
  • Hi Magie,

Do you mean it occurs Error locating vs_setup.msi error essage when you install Visual SourceSafe? It's setup file of Visual Studio but not Visual SourceSafe. Have you installed Visual Studio on your side? Which version? Based on my understanding, you installed Visual Studio 2008, so you can't find registry Key which is registered with Visual Studio 2005.

Please check whether your Visual Studio work fine, if not, try to reinstall it via Control Panel, and then reinstall Visual SourceSafe.

Please let me know the result.

Best Regards,
    Nancy
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by maggieo Saturday, February 20, 2010 6:40 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by maggieo Saturday, February 20, 2010 6:40 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Sanjeev.Kumar Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:39 AM
    Friday, January 29, 2010 4:08 AM
  • Great - I just wrote a 3 mile reply and lost it.. anyway - I had gotten away from this but now doing it again b/c I trashed the machine I was using.. I don't honestly know which exe I used before - hopefuly the one I placed where we keep things like that, which is called SW_CD_VSourceSafe_2005_W32_English_MLF_X11-47374.exe - I copied it local, unzipped and ran the setup.exe as vista sp1 compatibility and it ran fine. I did not see a netsetup in there.. I have to install JUST VISUAL SOURCESAFE on some pc's - not Visual Studio.. We are at 2005, but we need to upgrade all the developers to SourceSafe 2005 at the same time.. Then we will upgrade their pc's to Win7 - which will only have the SourceSafe 2005 on it - not the 6.0 they're running now on their xp machines.. Oh, I was NOT alerted to your responses on here - which I should have been.. or I would have responded prompty.. and since I finally got my VSS to install - and I wrote that above I wasn't watching this.. then, it has been a while and I needed to install again - and I had forgotten how I did it - and not written it down.. DUH.. So - anyway, I think I'm all set by running the setup exe as vista sp1 compat - I probably could have used xp compat.. Also, I ran the VSS 2005 UPDATE straight from the server and it installed fine.  So Nancy, YES, I was getting that error when installing SourceSafe - Not Visual Studio.  My VSS I'm installing from a CD so that's probably why it's going well!! Thanks again - feel free to mark this as closed.. when I tried to "mark as answer" I lost my reply!  Thanks again so much - Maggie
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 6:48 PM