install web service on windows server 2008

Question

• The website cannot display the page
    This row is for HTTP status code, as well as the divider

Most likely causes:
    The website is under maintenance
    The website has a programming error.

This error (HTTP 500 Internal Server Error)
    means that the website you are visiting had a server problem which prevented
    the webpage from displaying
    For more information about HTTP errors, see Help.
    when I hit refresh I get:

Server Error in '/VCIWebServiceWrite' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Request format is unrecognized for URL unexpectedly ending in '/wsVCIGatewayName'. 

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request.
    Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Request format is unrecognized for URL unexpectedly ending in
     '/wsVCIGatewayName'.

Source Error: 
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin
    and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.  

Stack Trace: 
    [InvalidOperationException: Request format is unrecognized for URL unexpectedly ending in '/wsVCIGatewayName'.]

System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebServiceHandlerFactory.CoreGetHandler(Type type, HttpContext context, HttpRequest request, HttpResponse response) +401180
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebServiceHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String verb, String url, String filePath) +281
    System.Web.MaterializeHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +425
    System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +263

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4016; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4016 

Too many forums to choose from.

I'm not sure if it is appropriate to place this question heer but.......

I am using VS2005 on a Vista machine using IIS7 and .NET 3.5
    When I PUBLISH my web service to my local machine, it runs ok.

But when I PUBLISH it to a WINDOWS SERVER 2008 running IIS 7 and .NET 3.5 sp1 then run it, I get the error logged above.

Ok, where is a good time to start looking to track this down?

When I call a web service that simply "returns" a String or a DataSet  it works fine.

But when I call a module in another DLL, the error occurs.

/Boyd

• Edited by Boyd1 Friday, July 17, 2009 6:51 PM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 1:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please edit your post to remove most of that HTML. I don't know why you'd think anyone would want to read it. Extract the important information from it, and delete the rest.

John Saunders
    WCF is Web Services. They are not two separate things.
    Use WCF for All New Web Service Development, instead of legacy ASMX or obsolete WSE
    Use File->New Project to create Web Service Projects
    Friday, July 17, 2009 2:52 PM
  • A bit smaller now.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 6:52 PM
  • As an experiment, I moved the DLLs that my service in turn calls.
    When I excercise the entry point that in turn calls these dlls I get:

Server Error in '/VCIWebServiceWrite' Application.

Could not load file or assembly 'VEC2SqlDLL' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. 
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'VEC2SqlDLL' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.  

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'VEC2SqlDLL' could not be loaded.

The only thing I know that is different is that this server is runn WS2008 64 whereas others ( VISTA and WS 2005 ) ar running 32 bit operating systems.
    Thought I would mention it.

/Boyd

Friday, July 17, 2009 7:27 PM
  • Oh, I copied the DLLs to the same directory as the web service DLL !)
    Friday, July 17, 2009 7:28 PM
  • That gives you something to try.
    John Saunders
    Use WCF for All New Web Service Development, instead of legacy ASMX or obsolete WSE
    Friday, July 17, 2009 7:28 PM
  • Uhh,
    I did try, the target DLL does not load.

Boyd
    Friday, July 17, 2009 7:32 PM
  • I meant you should try building it for 64 bits and see if that helps.

John Saunders
    Friday, July 17, 2009 7:33 PM
  • I thought the answer must be somewhat simpler:

http://forum.mylittleadmin.com/yafnet/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=87

/Boyd

• Marked as answer by Boyd1 Monday, July 20, 2009 2:21 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2009 2:21 PM