Runtime package for Crystal reports for Visual Studio 2008

Question

• Hi,

I have developed an application in Visual Studio 2008 which contains Crystal Reports - reports. Now, I want to deploy this application to some other machine, where can I get MSI or MSM runtime package for Crystal Reports for VS2008?

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Friday, December 28, 2007 5:45 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

You can download the Crystal Reports 2008 runtime package for .net Framework from the following link, and then install it on the target machine (please read the license carefully).

Crystal Reports 2008 Runtime Package for the .NET Framework
    http://support.businessobjects.com/communityCS/FilesAndUpdates/cr120_redist_install.zip.asp

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 3:34 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

You can download the Crystal Reports 2008 runtime package for .net Framework from the following link, and then install it on the target machine (please read the license carefully).

Crystal Reports 2008 Runtime Package for the .NET Framework
    http://support.businessobjects.com/communityCS/FilesAndUpdates/cr120_redist_install.zip.asp

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 3:34 AM
  • Hi,

Is this the same runtime needed to open Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2008 (which is listed as version 10.5)?  I noticed the download link shows its version 12 (which is the full version Crystal Reports 2008).

Thanks for your help.

Jay
    Wednesday, January 09, 2008 3:45 PM
  • I found this on another forum...hopefully it will help someone out.

Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2008 requires a "runtime" to load reports on a client machine.  This "runtime" can be found in this location on the development machine.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\CrystalReports10_5"

"CRRedist2008_x86.msi" (for 32bit)
    "CRRedist2008_x64.msi" (for 64bit)

Running this install package will install the files necessary to run open forms using Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2008 (version 10.5 in the IDE).  This is NOT the required "Runtime" for Crystal Reports 2008 (which is version 12).

Jay
    • Proposed as answer by Joe Gadell Thursday, April 07, 2011 3:04 AM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:44 PM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately this is the runtime for CRYSTAL 2008, not the redistributables for VISUAL STUDIO 2008. We use Crystal 10 so this isn't a lot of use.

We are looking for something like the CrystalReportsRedist2005_x86.msm that was available for Visual Studio 2005. This worked finewith Crystal 10.

There is a D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Crystal Reports\CRRedist\IA64\CRRedist2008_ia64.msi available from the VS2008 installation but we need the x86 version which does not seem to be available.

Can someone please help out here, we're getting awfully frustrated about all this as the Business Objects Web site only seems to know about VS 2003 and VS2005 but there is no mention of VS 2008!

Thanks for any help,

Permjeet

• Proposed as answer by Tom128281 Thursday, May 12, 2011 10:41 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:01 PM
  • Permjeet,

Please check out the path i listed in the post above yours.  I have just tested this out on a project created in visual studio 2008, using the included "Crystal viewer" control (version 10.5) and it works.

I also have the CRRedist\IA64\CRRedist2008_ia64.msi in my VS2008 install directory....and there is no 86 version for some reason. 

The correct version can be found in:

C:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\packages\CrystalReports10_5

(or in your case, d:\....)

Jay
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:08 PM
  •  JaG wrote:
    Permjeet,

Please check out the path i listed in the post above yours.  I have just tested this out on a project created in visual studio 2008, using the included "Crystal viewer" control (version 10.5) and it works.

I also have the CRRedist\IA64\CRRedist2008_ia64.msi in my VS2008 install directory....and there is no 86 version for some reason. 

The correct version can be found in:

C:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\packages\CrystalReports10_5

(or in your case, d:\....)

Jay

Jay,

Many thanks for your help, that seems to be working.

(Why do they have to make it so difficult?)

Permjeet

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 11:49 PM
  •  

That's it!!

Thank you!

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 1:53 PM
  • From product.xml of the Bootstrapper package at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\CrystalReports10_5, you can see the HomeSite of the msi file resides at:

http://resources.businessobjects.com/support/downloads/redistributables/vs_2008/redist/x86/CRRedist2008_x86.msi
    • Proposed as answer by windblower6 Friday, October 31, 2008 2:00 PM
    Friday, October 31, 2008 1:59 PM
  • Thank you for these links!  You should be given an award for successfully navigating the SAP - Business Objects website.  I think some people have tried and never returned to the land of the sane!!

I have D/L these two MSI files in case they disappear in the future.

With that said, I just upgraded a project from VS2005 to VS2008.  When it was on the previous IDE I deployed it to a server and used the "CrystalReportsRedist2005_x86.msm" file to deploy the necessary CR runtime files.  I'm first going to see if that approach will still work, even though I'm now using VS2008.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:14 PM
  • I developed a project using VS2008 and created some crystal reports inside it.

I add crredist2008_x86.msi to my deployment project as a file. when i deployed my system on user's computer, the crystal report is asking me for logon credentials to  the db.

Can anyone please tell me how to pass  these logon credentials to crystal reports programmatically??

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
    Monday, May 04, 2009 6:02 PM
  • Dear 'sramanu',

In your development environment, can you generate reports?  In other words, is it only NOT working when you deploy your project?

Crystal Reports works great for me but I distinctly recall it taking a lot of intricate code to get it working just right.  I'd be happy to share that code with you as an example for you to work from.  But there's no way to contact you.

On my profile you can access my website.  Go to the Support Form and send me an e-mail so that I can get your e-mail address.  I'll then send you some code back (which is much too long to be posted here).

Robert
    Monday, May 04, 2009 6:29 PM
  • Dear Robert,

Thanks for the input. The reports are working on my system, i.e., both from the IDE and also, from outside VS when I deploy it on my system without asking any logon name or password. But, it is aking me for the credentials when i deploy my project on other's computers.

Also, I added the crredist2008_x86.msi file to my deployment project as a file (not as a merge module). And, checked the Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio in the Prerequisites for the deployment project. Will this deploy the Crystal Reports on User's Computer?? or else, do i need to run the msi seperately. For now, I ran the msi fie seperately. But my manager wants me to keep everything in one setup file. 

My email is xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks alot for the input!!

Sramanu
    Monday, May 04, 2009 6:48 PM
  • Does any one know whether the Merge Module for VS2008(crystal reports 10.5) has been released yet ,I am fed up with going to SAP website??
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 3:38 PM
  • Sramanu,

Yes, the SAP site is quite the mess!

Try this: https://websmp130.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/bobj_download/main.htm

You'll find pages & pages of available downloads,

Robert
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 5:10 PM
  • Hi Yan-Fei,
    I'm not able to download that by the given link above. Pls advise!
    Thanks & Best Regards, HuaMin Chen
    Monday, May 11, 2009 10:03 AM
  • I have downloaded the msi but find that parameter fields I am using in my reports are not supported via the runtime viewer. Does anyone know of a viewer that does support this feature?
    • Edited by mrbimble Tuesday, June 02, 2009 3:46 PM
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 3:46 PM
  • I've never used the runtime viewer.  Instead, in my web app I display the PDF results of the generated report in a browser window.  It works very well.

If you also are working with a web app, drop me a line via my blog and I'll try to help!

Robert Werner
    http://MWTech.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 5:46 PM
  • Dear Robert,

I have a similar issue as sramanu about the logon credentials to the db.

Any assistance will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, July 01, 2009 7:20 AM
  • Have you tried this:

CrystalDecisions.Shared.ExportOptions exportOpts = new CrystalDecisions.Shared.ExportOptions();
        CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument oRpt = new CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument();

oRpt.Load(sReport + ".rpt");

TableLogOnInfo tInfo = new TableLogOnInfo();

foreach(CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.Table cTable in oRpt.Database.Tables)
        {
         tInfo = cTable.LogOnInfo;
         tInfo.ConnectionInfo.ServerName = #your_datasource#;
         tInfo.ConnectionInfo.DatabaseName = #your_initialcatalog#;
         tInfo.ConnectionInfo.UserID = #your_userid#;
         tInfo.ConnectionInfo.Password = #your_password#;
         cTable.ApplyLogOnInfo(tInfo);
         cTable.Location = Global.initialcatalog + ".dbo." + cTable.Location.Substring(cTable.Location.LastIndexOf(".") + 1);
        }

Monday, July 06, 2009 8:59 AM
  • Hi.

This is Himanshu Kumar Pant from eWebGuru.com. I gone through these link and I was able to download the msi file. but it is not working. it shows "gathering information" and then window closed. Could you please tell me why it is not working, or any solution for crystal report.
    waiting for your valuable reply.

Himanshu Kumar Pant
    eWeburu.com
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 11:18 AM
  • Hi..

I am Himanshu Kumar Pant from eWebGuru.com, Actually, I want to install crystal report. Could you please help me in this matter.

Waiting for your valuable answer.

Thanks
    Himanshu Kumar Pant
    http:\\www.ewebguru.com
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 11:20 AM
  • Hi Robert,

I read your post and  yes I am using visual studio 2008 to develop a web application where I am using the crystal reports. I have placed the viewer in my default.aspx page. Right now the application runs off of my local host, is not published to a server. I can view the report fine. From what I have researched so far is we don't need to have crystal reports or runtime package installed in client's machine...isn't that so? The report should just open up in clients' machine as a regular page.

Right now, I can query and view my results in the crystal report viewer. It just works fine. I am trying to use the default crystal report viewer toolbar to export, print and navigate to different pages of report. So my case is, I can view the report, it just works so fine until I press one of the default buttons in the toolbar. For eg, on the report, when I get the results, if I click on Export button of the toolbar, it pops up the window for export but then the aspx page where I have the viewer immediately comes out with error.."Database logon failed.Cordus_Opolus. ..C:\local settings\ user\temp\.....reportname.rpt. Cannot set the object reference to its instance...unable to log in."  Why does this happen? When I can view the report fine, that means I am able to login successfully and display the result in the viewer but why does it error out when I try to export or print or go to next page or previous page?

Have you experienced this?

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 3:18 AM
  • Sweha, I responded to your questions on my blog.  There's no way to contact you directly.  If you want, drop me a line (via the address on my blog) and I'll send you the code from the relevant page.  Perhaps it'll show you how I handled things.  FYI I never used the CR Viewer but built things my own way, which I'm very happy with.

Robert W.

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 3:32 AM
  • thanx windblower6 , for your reply!
    I have 2 days tring to run my crystal report aplication!!!
    Now it works fine! :D
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:50 PM
  • Currently, the Cystal Report runtime install downloads are available here.  Be sure to use the "Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio .NET 2008" if you've developed a Crystal application with the default reporting for VS 2008.  Beware that many of the other runtimes on this page will install trial versions of the full Crystal Reports package.

It should be noted that the best way to redistribute a VS 2008 Crystal Reports app is to check "Crystal Reports Basic for VS 2008" in the Prerequisites settings of your setup project.  This will download the runtime automatically on install.

Friday, October 09, 2009 5:44 PM
  • Setup project is unable to download the Crystal Reports Basic for VS 2008 when prerequisite is selected in the project settings. Throwing exception saying that the package has been changed after it is published.

Please let me know how to resolve this issue.
    Friday, December 04, 2009 7:32 AM
  • Thank you very much. I solved my problem using this "CRRedist2008_x86.msi" (for 32bit)
    I appreciated too much.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 5:32 PM
  • Sunday, March 07, 2010 12:52 PM
  • Hello William or anyone,

Please pardon the naivity as I'm a developer and this is my first time with windows installer I'm using a VS 2008 setup and deployment project (not the click once or oneclick thing)

Do I simply add this msi  as a file to the windows installer?  Will it automatically install or Are there other steps I need to take? 

I appreciate the help

Mike
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:20 PM
  • Thansk ,

Dear its work.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 5:08 AM
  • did you find the answer to this?
    Friday, August 13, 2010 12:22 AM
  • Hello William or anyone,

Please pardon the naivity as I'm a developer and this is my first time with windows installer I'm using a VS 2008 setup and deployment project (not the click once or oneclick thing)

Do I simply add this msi  as a file to the windows installer?  Will it automatically install or Are there other steps I need to take? 

I appreciate the help

Mike

Hi Mike/ Anyone,

How do I add files to windows installer?Please share your reply.

Thanks

Monday, August 16, 2010 3:57 PM
  • Hi..

I am Himanshu Kumar Pant from eWebGuru.com, Actually, I want to install crystal report. Could you please help me in this matter.

Waiting for your valuable answer.

Thanks
    Himanshu Kumar Pant
    http:\\www.ewebguru.com

Hello I am Asif Rasool from dunwebhost.com. Did you install the crystal report if yes please help me in least technical knowledge as I stand in dire need of it. Thanks in advance for kind co-operation.

Asif Rasool

http://www.dunwebhost.com

Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:19 AM
  • Same problem I am facing. If you find any solution please let me know here.

Thanks

Asif Rasool

www.dunwebhost.com

Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:22 AM
  • This link doesn't work.
    Thursday, April 07, 2011 3:05 AM
  • Hi Guys,

I m facing some crystal report version problem when deployed my project on server.

I have developed the project using Crystal report Basic (10.5) version in VB 2008. But on the server, full version of Crystal reports (version 12) is installed. Hence I am getting error in the report on server.

Guys please help to resolve this problem.. Can any one give some solution for the same...PLz 
    or else where can i get report viewer for Crystal report version 12 ( full version ) and the runtime for tha same too.  

Monday, June 13, 2011 5:53 PM
  • Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:59 PM