none
SharePoint 5000 items threshold issue with List web service for SSRS reports

Question

• Hi,

We have a list with folder structure and has 7900 items in total as of now. We are using XML data source type for using the List web Service for SSRS reports.

It worked fine till the number of items in the list were<5000. Since the data crossed 5000, it is not working as expected and i get soap exception for the threshold of 5000 items when i put a row limit greater than 5000 in my query parameters, but for 5000 as row limit it generates fine.

I need to display more than 5000 items in my reports.

Please suggest, if we can have a workaround for this with the list web service method or i need to go for "Microsoft SharePoint List" type approach and achieve my requirement (this approach wasn't working for me where i have list with folders, but i have seen that it doesnt enforce the threshold issue though)?

Regards,

Shastri

Friday, October 11, 2013 9:32 PM

Answers

• This is a SharePoint issue - and the only easy way around it is to increase the list threshold. 

Alternative approaches include using a CLR assembly that makes multiple calls to get around the issue, or an ETL process that first extracts the data from the list into a SQL table. 

I believe SharePoint Farm Admins are exempt from the List Threshold - so that is another 'workaround' you might try. 

Check with the SharePoint forum for more info.

Thanks! Josh

Sunday, October 13, 2013 11:20 PM