My system slows down when I turn on Reference rasterizer

Question

• When I executed Simple Sample from DirectX9 (Empty application with some controls) I have fps: 120, and then I turned on Reference rasterizer - fps become 2.5

Is it normal? On some examples that need REF I have 0.02 fps

My system: AMD Sempron 2600+, 320 mb RAM, integrated video card VIA/S3G UniChrome II Graphics

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 11:01 AM

Answers

•  

Yes this is normal, the reference ras' allows yolu to test all functions even if your hardware can not handle it...

From the SDK Documentation....

"Direct3D supports an additional device type called a reference device or reference rasterizer. Unlike a software device, the reference rasterizer supports every Direct3D feature. Because these features are implemented for accuracy rather than speed and are implemented in software, the results are not very fast. The reference rasterizer does make use of special CPU instructions whenever it can, but it is not intended for retail applications. Use the reference rasterizer only for feature testing or demonstration purposes. To create a reference device, call CreateDevice method using D3DDEVTYPE_REF as the device type."

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 11:40 AM
  • RefRast does EVERYTHING in software and is designed for correct results not speed.

Also remember that RefRast is only available in the SDK none of your end users will have it so you can't rely on it being there.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 4:35 PM

All replies

•  

Yes this is normal, the reference ras' allows yolu to test all functions even if your hardware can not handle it...

From the SDK Documentation....

"Direct3D supports an additional device type called a reference device or reference rasterizer. Unlike a software device, the reference rasterizer supports every Direct3D feature. Because these features are implemented for accuracy rather than speed and are implemented in software, the results are not very fast. The reference rasterizer does make use of special CPU instructions whenever it can, but it is not intended for retail applications. Use the reference rasterizer only for feature testing or demonstration purposes. To create a reference device, call CreateDevice method using D3DDEVTYPE_REF as the device type."

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 11:40 AM
  • RefRast does EVERYTHING in software and is designed for correct results not speed.

Also remember that RefRast is only available in the SDK none of your end users will have it so you can't rely on it being there.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 4:35 PM
  • Is it normal to be so slow?
    Yes, the reference rasterizer is very slow. Like Glenn and Andy said. It provides the functionality to the developer to test everything even if his/her hardware doesn't support it.
    Wednesday, April 19, 2006 3:23 AM
  • Yeah guy !
    A reference rasteriser proudly branded scene is quiet slow.
    Why ?
    Because,the ref_raster(software) emulates all the capabilities of Direct3D(TnL,hardware),to render a scene having more capabilities than the low level layer(driver) and hardware setup running it.
    Why ?
    Because here what we seek is not performance ,but accuracy.
    Render anything ,is still better than render nothing , right ?
    It mainly uses the CPU multimedia extensions to map the surface blitter at least one time per second if not worse.
    Fortunately these awfull performances are not distributed for retail/commercial use.
    We only use them at debug/test/wip stages before the final commercial release,if necessary.

So I hope it is clear now...

Friday, April 21, 2006 6:48 AM