afxres.h

Question

• A much asked question, and usually gets answered by change afxres.h to windows.h. But I'm afraid afxres is essential here, can't explain why, since I didn't program the original code, just adjusting it. So how do I get afxres.h with VC++ 2008 -> express <- i heard the VC2008 feature set doesn't work on express edition, so.... Pretty much a dead end, no idea where to download it, and I'm afraid it has some important references in it...

Anyone willing and able to help me out on this one?
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 7:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

VC++ Express edition has no ATL and MFC support. But “afxres.h” is a part of MFC header files. From your descrption, it seems that the code you are adjusting utilizes MFC, thus, you need Visual Studio Standard or Professional edition.

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 10:54 AM

All replies

• Just noticed that winres.h either was a lame joke by someone, or just doesn't work/exist.... winresrc.h on the other hand gives this error;
    1>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'shared_util_mt.lib'
    I didn't even mention shared_util_mt.lic anywhere, and neither does it exist I think.... But I did notice that a lot of people had broken links if they changed afxres.h. Is this the same with me, or ...
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 7:26 PM
  • Hi,

VC++ Express edition has no ATL and MFC support. But “afxres.h” is a part of MFC header files. From your descrption, it seems that the code you are adjusting utilizes MFC, thus, you need Visual Studio Standard or Professional edition.

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 10:54 AM