none
Coying Database to another server

Question

• Dear All,

I want trying to copy database to another server but i got error

Login failed for user 'domainName\ComputerName$'

I already use domain administrator to both of server and already create user login in both server.

Both of the login is domain administrator and same user for the server. I use SQL Server Standard Edition 2008 R2.

How can i fix this error?

please help

Best regards,

Surbakti

Thursday, February 06, 2014 4:37 AM

Answers

• Hi Surbakti,

According to your description, if you copy a local database to a remote SQL Server via the copy database wizard, we need to verify if the SQL Server Agent Service account does have sufficient access rights to the remote server. See: Use the Copy Database Wizard

Usually, I suggest the better option is to perform the full backup of the database and then copy the backup file manually to remote computer. Once done, restore the database from this backup file on remote computer.

There is detail about move databases between computers that are running SQL Server instance.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314546/en-us

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 07, 2014 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please explain a little bit about the method you are using to copy the databases.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, February 06, 2014 4:48 AM
  • Please explain what do you mean by copy database,

are you trying to restore on different server if so how you are doing it, 

please also post the error message you are getting.

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other users find a solution quicker
    Praveen Dsa | MCITP - Database Administrator 2008 | My Blog | My Page

Thursday, February 06, 2014 4:53 AM
  • Dear All,

I using copy database wizard from Management Studio.

Bellow I explain what that i do step by step:

Right click on database, choose Task - copy database.

windows wizard show, i click next and choose Server Source (Server1), login using windows Authentication and click next.

After that i choose destination server (Server2) ans still using windows authentication.

I choose Use SQL Management Object Method and hit next. I select database that i want to copy.

In configure destination destination i choose Drop any database on destination Server with same name.

I choose all available related object to selected related object and click next. Without change anything in configure package windows i click next and i choose run immediately, click next and after that i click Finish.

There are 5 action and only Execute SQL Server Agent job that failed.

I follow this link:

http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2011/05/27/sql-server-copy-database-from-instance-to-another-instance-copy-paste-in-sql-server/

Here the error:

StackTrace:    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ConnectionManager.Connect()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Tasks.TransferObjectsTask.TransferObjectsTask.OpenConnection(Server& server, ServerProperty serverProp)
    InnerException-->Login failed for user 'DomainName\ComputerBane$'.

what that i missed?

Please Help.

Best regards,

Surbakti

• Edited by Surbakti Thursday, February 06, 2014 6:58 AM add link
    Thursday, February 06, 2014 6:38 AM
  • Hi Surbakti,

According to your description, if you copy a local database to a remote SQL Server via the copy database wizard, we need to verify if the SQL Server Agent Service account does have sufficient access rights to the remote server. See: Use the Copy Database Wizard

Usually, I suggest the better option is to perform the full backup of the database and then copy the backup file manually to remote computer. Once done, restore the database from this backup file on remote computer.

There is detail about move databases between computers that are running SQL Server instance.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314546/en-us

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 07, 2014 9:22 AM