none
How to hide Main report row if Subreport returns no data in SSRS 2008

Question

• I have a Main report column say ColumnA, which contains a sub-report. When the sub-report returns no data, I want to hide the entire row in the main report. My main report and the sub report run on different data sources. I tried setting the row visibility by using the expression iif(IsNothing(Fields!ColumnA.Value), True, False). But it was of no use.

Please let me know how to make the main report row invisible when sub report returns no data.

Thanks.

Saturday, August 17, 2013 8:09 AM

Answers

• Hi Rohit,

In your scenario, you use some parameters to run the subreport, and the data on the subreport are dynamic base on the parameters values, right? In Reporting Services, we cannot get the subreport report items value on the main report, so there is no a value using to control the row visibility. And I am afraid there is no an approach to work around this, if you have any concerns about this feature, you can submit a feedback at http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback and hope it is resolved in the next release of service pack or product.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
    Charlie Liao

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 19, 2013 7:18 AM

All replies

• I have a Main report column say ColumnA, which contains a sub-report. When the sub-report returns no data, I want to hide the entire row in the main report. My main report and the sub report run on different data sources. I tried setting the row visibility by using the expression iif(IsNothing(Fields!ColumnA.Value), True, False). But it was of no use.

Please let me know how to make the main report row invisible when sub report returns no data.

Thanks.

Also, I am using Report Builder 2.0.

Saturday, August 17, 2013 8:10 AM
  • Hi Rohit,

In your scenario, you use some parameters to run the subreport, and the data on the subreport are dynamic base on the parameters values, right? In Reporting Services, we cannot get the subreport report items value on the main report, so there is no a value using to control the row visibility. And I am afraid there is no an approach to work around this, if you have any concerns about this feature, you can submit a feedback at http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback and hope it is resolved in the next release of service pack or product.

Regards,
    Charlie Liao

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Charlie Liao

Monday, August 19, 2013 7:18 AM
  • Hi Charlie,

It is precisely what you have mentioned. Is there any option from which we can check if there is any value inside subreport? Ex. ReportItems.Subreport!Subreport1.Value or something like this.

Thanks.

Monday, August 19, 2013 7:24 AM
  • Hi Rohit,

Unfortunately, as I said in the above post, there is no such functionally to work around this. You can submit a feedback on the above link, and hope it is resolved in the next release of service pack or product.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Monday, August 19, 2013 7:59 AM
  • Thanks Charlie. I have submitted a feedback regarding the same.
    Monday, August 19, 2013 9:13 AM