How to set desktop IE10 version as default

Question

• First of all, I really like the metro part of Win8, so i'm not asking to remove the metro part of Windows in any kind of way.

However, I do find it annoying that when i'm working within the normal desktop experience, clicking on links inside a program always opens up the metro IE10. Now I do understand this is a good working scenario for touch devices, but for mouse and keyboard, IE10 metro isn't working for me. So I was wondering, can I switch the default action to the desktop IE version?

Hopefully this can be done with some trick, so can it????

Thanks for any reply in advance. However, with my question being asked my feedback for the perfect solution is the following:

1. I click a link within a metro app > Opens IE metro
    2. I click a link within a desktop app > Opens IE desktop version
    3. An option to force what version to open.

This option should be listen in the default programs, like an option to select one of the above mentioned IE's

Thanks!

Peter van Dam

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:15 PM

Answers

• The only settings available and known to me is to point to a bottom left corner while in the Metro IE, choose Settings, click on the Default view for links (it looks like as just a tile but it is a link) and choose whatever you want.
    • Marked as answer by Peter van Dam Friday, September 16, 2011 6:35 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 6:25 PM
  • When Internet Explorer is set as the default web browser, its tile will launch IE with the Metro style experience.    If you have chosen another web browser to be your default, then the Internet Explorer tile will always open IE in the desktop.

You can change your default browser at any time by going to Start and then typing “default programs”.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:57 PM

All replies

• The only settings available and known to me is to point to a bottom left corner while in the Metro IE, choose Settings, click on the Default view for links (it looks like as just a tile but it is a link) and choose whatever you want.
    • Marked as answer by Peter van Dam Friday, September 16, 2011 6:35 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 6:25 PM
  • Didn't notice that setting. Thanks, it worked!
    Friday, September 16, 2011 6:36 PM
  • Corrollary question:  Now, when I click the Metro button for IE, it shoots over to the Aero desktop and opens IE10.  Not that I dislike this, but how can the settings be changed so that it opens in Metro mode if I should want to poke around on that side?

-Noel

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:39 PM
  • When Internet Explorer is set as the default web browser, its tile will launch IE with the Metro style experience.    If you have chosen another web browser to be your default, then the Internet Explorer tile will always open IE in the desktop.

You can change your default browser at any time by going to Start and then typing “default programs”.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:57 PM
  • Thanks for the answer.  Actually, it did not do as you say - for a while.  Clicking IEs Metro tile would cause an IE window to open on the Aero Desktop, and I did not change the default location for links.  Nor have I downloaded any other browser.

Now, on my current bootup of Windows 8 DP, clicking the IE Metro tile starts the Metro IE again. 

There's some inconsistency there.

-Noel

• Edited by Noel Carboni Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:07 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:03 AM
  • I noticed the same thing just recently. Talked to some other people about it and they seem to have some "lag" when changing settings in general. In this particular case, I was dorking with switching between various browsers and saw the behavior you saw. I hit the setting to make IE default like 5-6 times consecutively and it seemed to work thereafter. We'll have to investigate further.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 6:45 PM