none
The application failed to load required components. If the compact framework is installed on a storage card, please ensure that

Question

•  

Hello,

I have developed a small app using .net CF 2.0 and have deployed it to a MC70 device.  When ran, I receive a The application failed to load required components. If the compact framework is installed  on a storage card, please ensure that the card is in place exception messsage.  I have v2.0 insatalled (2.0.7045.0).  The application uses an assembly written in 1.0.  It apears that the device cannot load an assembly, because I removed the assembly from the project and it runs fine.  When I run the app with the assembly, it throws the exception.  I am starting to think that the device is missing some components?  Has anyone experienced this issue before?

Thanks

Monday, November 19, 2007 2:57 PM

Answers

• Why don't you hard reset this device then and reinstall framework to make sure it's not corrupted?

Or it might be defective device, which happens. Call device manufacturer for replacement/repair.

Monday, November 19, 2007 5:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

before starting: Installing .NET CF on a storage card is in general not recommended.
    I would say, that your removed component causes the error. Can you give some more information on where your error is caused? A StackTrace and the Exceptions Message would already help. Otherwise it will be hard to determine, where the error comes from.

Cheers, Peter
    Monday, November 19, 2007 3:48 PM
  • Sorry about that, the framework was installed on the device. 

I changed a few things around and I am getting a Type Load Exception when loading the app. It appears to be stemming from when I instantiate one of my custom objects from an assembly.  The error is Could not load type x.y.z" from assembly x.y, version 1.4.3, culture neutral, public key token= null.  The .dll is in the application root

It appears to be happening in form_load, I can't seem to get the stack trace, since it is occurring as soon as I load the program.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Monday, November 19, 2007 4:40 PM
  • Hi,

it would be very helpfull to get this message without variables, but with the current values:

Could not load type x.y.z" from assembly x.y, version 1.4.3, culture neutral, public key token= null.

Cheers, Peter
    Monday, November 19, 2007 4:50 PM
  • OK.  The names here are of a custom assembly.  Could not load type  JPM.Data.SQLHelper" from assembly JPM.Data, version 1.4.3, culture neutral, public key token= null. 

Thanks

Monday, November 19, 2007 5:10 PM
  •  

Things to verify:

1.       Is this assembly delay signed (NETCF does not support delay signed assemblies).

2.       Is this assembly compiled for desktop (NETCF can’t run desktop’s code).

3.       Do you have the same version of this assembly on device or perhaps it’s a different one?

Monday, November 19, 2007 5:22 PM
  • Hi again,

just for the assembly name and extending Ilya's thoughts:
    Are you sure that this assembly is a .NET Compact Framework and probably not a .NET Framework Assembly?
    Is this custom Assembly doing anything with Reflection? Does it have any References to .NET Framework assemblies or other desktop assemblies?

Hope this helps to figure out your problem. As mentioned earlier - it sounds to me like the main problem you have.

Cheers, Peter
    Monday, November 19, 2007 5:29 PM
  • 1.It is not delay signed

2.It is not compiled for the desktop version

3.The version is the same on the device

I think the issue might be with the device.  It is a MC 7094.  The application runs fine with the assembly on a MC 7095.

I even wrote a sample app in 1.0 (importing the assembly too) and that crashed as well with the MC 7094.  Under both circumstances it is telling me that a newer version of the .net framework needs to be installed when I know the device has both versions on it.  thoughts?

Thanks

Monday, November 19, 2007 5:36 PM
  • Why don't you hard reset this device then and reinstall framework to make sure it's not corrupted?

Or it might be defective device, which happens. Call device manufacturer for replacement/repair.

Monday, November 19, 2007 5:43 PM
  • I think I will try both.  Thanks to you both

Monday, November 19, 2007 5:58 PM