none
How to identify a list in a Reusable workflow

Question

• I am building a reusable workflow and will be attaching it to 2 different lists (ListA & ListB). I want to identify the list the workflow was started on so I can determine which columns I want to copy to a 3rd custom list (ListC). There are several common columns in both list A&B but not all exist in both lists.

If the workflow runs on ListA there are a few extra columns I want to copy to ListC. I tried using a workflow variable as string but can't seem to get it working correctly, keeps getting Error Occured.

Can some confirm if I am on the right track or let me know a better solution, thanks.

Stunpals - Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 5:52 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Reusable WF works based on content type so you must have enabled same content type in listA and ListB. You also need to include custom column (if you have created any custom column in any list) with your content type so you can compare the data. Now once you done this then WF will work as per your conditions/action individually for your lists. (since once you publish your reusable WF in site then you also need to create WF instance for each list from workflow settings).

>Error Occured

Try to add action log to workflow history to know about error details.

Let us know if you have any doubt

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Please feel free to unmark answer if does not resolves your problem.

• Marked as answer by Stunpals Friday, July 05, 2013 3:37 PM
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 6:15 AM
  • Hi Stunpals,

When you create the reusable workflow, you could configure association columns(in the workflow tab->Association Columns), then these columns can be used in workflow actions. So you should create the common columns to be site columns and added them to the lists you want.

Best Regards.

Kelly Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 04, 2013 6:34 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Reusable WF works based on content type so you must have enabled same content type in listA and ListB. You also need to include custom column (if you have created any custom column in any list) with your content type so you can compare the data. Now once you done this then WF will work as per your conditions/action individually for your lists. (since once you publish your reusable WF in site then you also need to create WF instance for each list from workflow settings).

>Error Occured

Try to add action log to workflow history to know about error details.

Let us know if you have any doubt

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Please feel free to unmark answer if does not resolves your problem.

Thursday, July 04, 2013 6:15 AM
  • Hi Stunpals,

When you create the reusable workflow, you could configure association columns(in the workflow tab->Association Columns), then these columns can be used in workflow actions. So you should create the common columns to be site columns and added them to the lists you want.

Best Regards.

Kelly Chen

Thursday, July 04, 2013 6:34 AM
  • I am just testing the reusable workflow right now as I have never used one before. But it sounds like this may not work on my 2 existing custom List. Both are using the default content type "Item", and there is no shared site columns besides the Title (renamed to Client Name).

Thursday, July 04, 2013 2:40 PM
  • I did create 1 associated column in my testing, but from both Hemendra Agrawal and your descriptions, it doesn't sound like this will work with these 2 existing, production custom lists.

From what I am seeing with my testing and from what both of you are saying, only the column that are either Site or Associated columns are visible to to the Reusuable workflow. All custom list columns will not be able to be looked up by the reusable workflow.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thursday, July 04, 2013 2:46 PM
  • Hi Stunpals,

Yes, you are right. So you should use these columns as site column or create individual list workflow for each list.

Best Regards.

Kelly Chen

Friday, July 05, 2013 1:55 AM