Game Compatibility List Windows 8

General discussion

• I testing many Steam Games for Windows 8 .

Super Street Fighter 4 (Capcom)   NOT WORK (Black Screen)

Darkvoid0 (Capcom)  Notwork (black screen)

Plantes vs Zombie  Work Perfect

Pls post here your game testin ,problem and possible solution 

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:56 AM

All replies

• Think it's better to just report this using the feedback tool.

Also ' L4D1 & 2 = Work
    Css = Work
    Minecraft = Crash (Java in general actually)

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:42 AM
  • I tried Crysis just now after reading some reports of better performance in Windows 8 than Windows 7. Hard for me to tell really as I have upgraded parts of my system since I last played. Still performance seemed quite good and smooth. No issues. I did notice that I couldn't tab out of the game at all. Also the Metro Charm overlay didn't function whilst playing (which is good).

I also played Crysis 2 MP a few days ago and that again seemed nice and smooth with no issues other than occasional unexplained kicks back to the desktop as the game lost the system focus for some reason.

Another old fave of mine Battlefield 2142 installs as it should but as I expected I cannot join an MP game as Punkbuster doesn't recognise the new Windows. I get 'Unknown Windows API' error. I expect this won't change until a release candidate for Windows 8 is released based on my experiences with testing the Windows 7 Beta a couple of years ago. Evenbalance will not even acknowledge Windows 8 until then.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:08 AM
  • Should have some performance gain because win8 Ram = 50%win7.

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:09 AM
  • None of the Aeria games work that i have tested.

Do Not Work

Shaiya

Dynasty Warriors Online

Age of Empires online

Wolf Team

AVA

Do Work

Team fortress 2

Warhammer 40k Space Marine

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:30 PM
  • Do not work!

Sims (in general) mainly the launcher.

-Chase Croley
    Monday, October 03, 2011 5:08 PM
  • So far I like the new Windows, tho I have found a lot of bugs with app's hanging up and freezing altogether.
    Anyway here's a list of games that I've tested and have already reported to Microsoft.

I will post my systems specs at the bottom of the list.

Older games:

Diablo: Not working wont start (Minimizes to taskbar can't click it, wont turn off. You have to end the task in Task manager)

Diablo 2: Plays the intro flawlessly but you can't start a new game (crashes after intro)

Diablo 2 LoD expansion pack: Plays the intro fine, you can create a character and start a game but crashes as soon as you leave town (every time)

Grand theft auto San Andreas: Crashes or freezes as soon as you click the icon

Fable The Lost Chapters: Oddly enough a game made by Microsoft plays without a hitch. No problems to report as of right now (only messed with it for about an hour)

Halo CE: Another game made for Microsoft play's fine Online and Offline

Halo 2: Play's fine Offline, Online crashes to desktop after joining a server

Quake 4: LoL Not a snowballs chance in hell (massive Windows issues....the OS itself crashes, PC powers off and restarts)

Newer games:

Call of duty MW:  Not working wont start (Minimizes to taskbar can't click it, wont turn off. You have to end the task in Task manager)

Call of duty MW2: Starts and plays intro But Crashes to Desktop after the intro is finishes or skipped

Call of duty WaW: Starts but freezes after start up (you have to turn it off in Task Manager)

Call of duty Black Ops: Not working wont start (Minimizes to taskbar can't click it, wont turn off. You have to end the task in Task manager)

Fable 3: Play's fine Offline (no problems as of right now) Online however crashes instantly to Desktop 

Before I start the MMO list I want to say that my download speeds on my other Windows (XP/Vista/7) hard drives was slower overall Windows 8 downloaded a 1.8GB file in less then 20 min. , where as with the other 3 systems it took more then 35 to 40 min. to download the same file from the same download link. And it copy's very large files at lightning speeds. Here's and great example it copied a 4.2GB file in less then 2 min. now that's fast. Ok here's the rest of the list.

MMO's (downloadable RPG/FPS Free to Play):

Cabal online: You can login but can't connect to a server

SkyCabal: (private server) You can login but can't connect to a server

Lost Chaos: You can login but can't connect to a server

Combat Arms: Play's but it lags real bad

Crossfire: Freezes at login screen (you have to use Task Manager to close it)

My Systems Specs:

CPU: 2.8GHz

RAM: 3GB useable 2.8GB

Video: Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT

Friday, October 14, 2011 3:29 PM
  • Back To The Future The Game works fine..Its the only one I have tried,we be trying Batman Arkham Asylum next..let you know.
    Spanner..
    • Edited by spannernick Friday, October 14, 2011 7:07 PM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 7:07 PM
  •  Batman Arkham Asylum works but you can't sign in to windows live Game For Windows Live is not working..dam...:(
    Spanner..
    Friday, October 14, 2011 10:11 PM
  • Steam and Civilization V work fine on WDP. I'm playing on a laptop though, so I'm not using the most advanced graphical options, but the DX10/11 executable plays nicely from what I've experienced. Also, a user on the NVidia forum reported that CoD: Black Ops ran well (better than Win7) on the WDP.
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 2:34 AM
  • Steam and Civilization V work fine on WDP. I'm playing on a laptop though, so I'm not using the most advanced graphical options, but the DX10/11 executable plays nicely from what I've experienced. Also, a user on the NVidia forum reported that CoD: Black Ops ran well (better than Win7) on the WDP.

I just finished playing  Civilization V and yes its run's nicely. As for Black Ops I think the problem might be with my video card. It is fairly old. Bought it back in 2008 when it came out and I work the hell out of it I've noticed lately my fan on the card stops for about 30 min. then kicks back on for 2 or 3 min. (happened before I installed WDP). I listed my bare specs as it could be a hardware issue and not a software issue. I'm going out tomorrow to buy a newer video card and some more ram. WDP seems to like ram a little to much. I'll post an update after I install a new video card.  
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:33 AM
  • sims3launcher.exe WORKS NOW:) i just forgot that it was the launcher not the actual game:)
    -Chase Croley
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Batman Arkham City works fine for me.

I ran the installer in compatibility mode for Windows 7 but I don't know if this step is necessary. Launched it fine and played for awhile. No GFWL overlay appeared and I noticed that all progress was lost on restart.

So I searched this forum for GFWL and noticed a guy had posted a fix for GFWL. Went through the various steps and the GFWL overlay now works as normal, games saves progress as it should, cheives are awarded etc.

Thursday, December 08, 2011 1:40 PM
  • Batman Arkham City = Work
    L.A. Noire = Work
    Fable 3 = Work
    Sonic Generations = Work
    Emulators Wii, Ps2, Snes, Dreamcast and Psone = Works
    Skyrim = Work
    Blade & Soul = Work
    MW3 = Work
    Need For Speed  Run & World = Works
    Fruit Ninja = Work
    Deus Ex HR & Missing Link = Works
    BF3 = Work
    Viva Piñata = Work
    Wakfu = Work
    Super Street Fighter IV = Work
    The Witcher 2 = Work
    Darksiders = work
    Alice Madness Return = Work
    NBA 2K12 = Work
    Splinter Cell Conviction = Work
    Rage = Work
    Blazblue Calamity Trigger = Work
    Medal of Honor = Work
    Magic The Gathering Duels of Planeswalkers = Work

• Edited by Br4zko Friday, January 06, 2012 9:57 PM More games tested
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 6:22 PM
  • Got steam and all Half Life Games working plus 48 mods.

After reading this post I tried Quake 4 and install the 1.4.2 update for the wide screen.

Everything is working ok with Quake 4 no problems at the moment. I could not get this to work in Windows 7. 

Sunday, December 11, 2011 9:39 PM
  • Why cant i play games like Grandchase and Elsword on windows 8??.....its really bugging me.....and i REALLY wanna play...how do i fix this?
    Monday, December 26, 2011 5:26 AM
  • Why cant i play games like Grandchase and Elsword on windows 8??.....its really bugging me.....and i REALLY wanna play...how do i fix this?

What are your symptoms?   One guess would be that you are trying to use the Metro version of IE10 instead of the Desktop one and finding that you need to be able to use some ActiveX add-ons.

---

Monday, December 26, 2011 2:59 PM
  • a couple things have worked for me

: right click the game icon (or steam icon?) and click run as administrator

: use compatibility mode and choosing either win 7 or xp

Monday, December 26, 2011 6:19 PM
  • My specs pentium dual core 2.4 ghz, gts 250 and 3 gb ram.

All Modern Warfare work as long as they are run as administrator (1,2 and 3)

Battlefield: 3 works, (Run as admin)

GTA IV and GTA SA - Perfectly

Just Cause 2 works also

L4D 1&2 works too.

Thats about all the games i play.

Monday, January 02, 2012 9:20 PM
  • i upload the list the ones who dnt work as i see are the MMO

Mi Rig

Manufacturer:
    MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
    Processor:
    AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor (6 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Memory:
    4096MB RAM
    Hard Drive:
    1.2T
    Video Card:
    XFX AMD Radeon HD 6870
    Monitor:
    Viore 22'' 1080p
    Sound Card:
    Realtek HDMI Output (ATI HDMI Audio)
    Speakers/Headphones:
    Logitech Z313 2.1 Channels 25 Watts
    Keyboard:
    Logitech Cordless Desktop® EX 100 Keyboard
    Mouse:
    Logitech Cordless Desktop® EX 100 Mouse
    Mouse Surface:
    Steel Series
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 Developer Preview 64 bits
    Motherboard:
    MSI 785GTM-E45
    Computer Case:
    Thermaltake V3
    • Edited by Br4zko Friday, January 06, 2012 10:09 PM
    Friday, January 06, 2012 10:00 PM
  • I tried halo custom edition on windows 8 but it didn't work =( 

It is really upsetting because halo ce is the only good game with old graphics so it was the only game that i enjoyed and my PC could actually play.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 5:45 PM
  • got: AMD athlon II X2 250 3.01 GHz

2Gb ram

nvidia 9500gt

I tryed Linage 2 and start fine but when it is time to login, i get: Gameguard Error code:114.

I also tryed Alliance of Valiant Arms,via steam, and i get a Gameguard Crash, that make the game to stop working.

I Guess all games with Gameguard are not working till Customer preview, well i hope!

• Edited by Hayabuza283 Sunday, February 19, 2012 3:37 AM
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 3:33 AM