none
WCELOAD & NETCFv2.wm.armv4i.cab

Question

• I am trying install NETCFv2.wm.armv4i.cab using WCELOAD with "/SILENT" via CreateProcess.

I am unable to WaitForSingleObject or GetExitCodeProcess as this cab remains 'STILL_ACTIVE' indefinately.

I have done this many times for other Cab installs, without any issues.

The only difference i am aware of with NETCFv2.wm.armv4i.cab is that you receive a message 'You must restart the device to complete installation' , if you run this manually.

I want to avoid using a 'poke &hope' timer on the GetExitCodeProcess.

Can another suggest a way i can monitor the CreateProcess'es completion?

Saturday, November 11, 2006 12:49 AM

Answers

All replies

• You should use correct command line instead so WCELOAD would actually exit without popping up prompts and waiting on user input forever:

http://blog.opennetcf.org/afeinman/PermaLink,guid,1de2284c-a65e-417c-a130-1bd5acd4ad3d.aspx

Saturday, November 11, 2006 7:03 PM
  • Hi

Can you please explain what you mean by correct command line?

I believe this link relates to older devices and these commands aren't available on the latest WM5.

The only details for WM5 command lines i can find are /SILENT & /DELETE. is this correct?

Regards

Tony

Monday, November 13, 2006 4:22 PM
  • No, I don't believe /silent is correct for WM 5.0 and I think article is current. So please go ahead and try /noui before CAB file name. Oh, and keep it lower case (though I doubt that really matters).

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 1:57 AM
  • Hi Ilya

I have found the documentation that i require. It is in the offline version of Windows Mobile Version 5.0 SDK Help

Unfortunately the WM5 SDK documention doesn't appear to have been posted on the WEB MSDN.

The full Details for WCEload.exe on WM5 from the SDK are Pasted as follows

Windows Mobile Version 5.0 SDK  

Wceload Tool

Development Tools and Resources > Windows Mobile Tools

The XML-based CAB installer application Wceload tool (Wceload.exe) runs on your target device. You typically use this tool to install a .cab or .cpf file to a location that you select on the target device. Most .cab files are configured to enable the user to select the destination volume where the .cab file will be installed, either \Device or \Storage Card. However, you can choose to suppress the destination volume selection prompt and install the .cab file to a default location, specified in the .inf file used to create the .cab file.

Typically, you do not directly call Wceload. Instead, Wceload is called programmatically by other programs to install .cab files. For example, if you use File Explorer to view and open a .cab file, Shell automatically invokes Wceload for installation of the .cab file.

Wceload implements security mechanisms and performs installation tasks for .cab and .cpf files on Windows Mobile-based devices.

Wceload installs .cab and .cpf files using the following process:

1. Wceload receives a .cab or .cpf file through one of the delivery mechanisms. While Microsoft ActiveSync® can send multiple .cab or .cpf files in one batch, each file is processed in turn.
    2. If the file is signed, Wceload attempts to verify the included certificate against certificates placed in the SPC Store.
    3. If the .cab file is unsigned, the security role to be used for the installation is determined by the SECPOLICY_UNSIGNEDCABS and SECPOLICY_UNSIGNEDPROMPT security policies.
    4. After the certificate verification process occurs, Wceload opens the .cab file for allowed installations and extracts the included _setup.xml file, which is passed to the Configuration Manager for processing.

For more information about how the Configuration Manager handles files, see Configuration Manager and Configuration Service Providers.

For information about creating cab files, see CAB Wizard.

wceload [ /delete <number> | /noui  
    | /confignotify | /nodelete | /safe | /silent | /verifyconfig] <cab file location> 

Parameters

/confignotify
    Generates a configuration result notification that is placed in the Text Message store on the device.
    /nodelete
    Specifies that the .cab file is not removed after installation.
    Note   If you do not specify /nodelete or /delete 0 when running Wceload, the .cab file is deleted even if the installation is not successful.
    /delete <number>
    Specifies how Wceload removes the cab file after installation.
    Note   If you do not specify /nodelete or /delete 0 when running Wceload, the .cab file is deleted even if the installation is not successful.
    Value Description
    0 Does not remove the cab file.
    1 Removes the cab file. This is the default value.
    /noui
    Specifies that the user will not be prompted for any input during the installation. By default, prompts are answered with 'Yes'. However, if the .cab file is unsigned, any security-related prompts will default to 'No' for security reasons, and the installation might fail.
    /safe
    Specifies that the .cab file cannot contain executable files. Also, if the .cab file is unsigned, it can only use restricted permissions, ensuring that it will not be able to write to protected files and registry keys.
    /silent
    Suppresses dialog boxes during the installation, and all Yes/No prompts default to 'Yes', unless the .cab file is not signed. However, if the .cab file is unsigned, any security-related prompts will default to 'No' for security reasons, and the installation might fail.

This is the same as /noui.

/verifyconfig
    Specifies that the Wceload tool must verify whether the file passed in is a .cpf file. If the file is not a .cpf file, the installation fails.
    cab file location
    Specifies the location of the cab file to install or remove.

Remarks

The following code example shows how to call wceload to install a .cab file called MyCabFile.cab, while suppressing all dialog boxes during the installation. After installation, the .cab file is specifically not removed.

wceload /nodelete /silent "\Temp\MyCabFile.cab"

See Also

CAB Wizard | Unload Tool | Cabinet (cab) File Overview | Cab Provisioning Format (CPF) File

Send Feedback on this topic to the authors

© 2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 2:05 PM