TFS 2010 Web Access site not working

Question

• Hi,

I recently installed TFS 2010 with SP1 on Windows Server 2008 R2, using domain accounts such as MyDomain\TFSService for the service accounts.  Client access from Visual Studio 2010 is working fine.  But when I try to browse to the Team Web Access site http://tfs:8080/tfs/web/ I get HTTP 500 Internal Server Error.  Browsing to http://tfs:8080/tfs/web/Index.aspx produces the error shown below.  I have verified that the TFSService account has the "Log on as a service" right.  I suspected a permissions problem, so based on suggestions in other threads, I tried adding the TFSService account to the local Administrators group.  I also tried switching the TFS authentication to Kerberos (even though we don't use Kerberos), but nothing I've tried resolves the problem.  Here is the error when I browse to http://tfs:8080/tfs/web/Index.aspx

Server Error in '/tfs/web' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The given assembly name or codebase, 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WebAccess.Common\10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\

Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WebAccess.Common.dll', was invalid.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IO.FileLoadException: The given assembly name or codebase, 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WebAccess.Common\10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\

Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WebAccess.Common.dll', was invalid.

Source Error:
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. 

Stack Trace:
    [FileLoadException: The given assembly name or codebase, 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WebAccess.Common\10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\

Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WebAccess.Common.dll', was invalid.]
       Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WebAccess.WebAccessApplication.OnBeginRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
       System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +80
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +171

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.5448; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.5420

• Edited by IDEC_Scott Thursday, November 03, 2011 2:02 PM
    Thursday, November 03, 2011 1:56 PM

All replies

• Hello IDEC_Scott,

I have never seen this issue before. So could you please offer me the detailed error message got? Please go to the Even Viewer to see if there are some event logs are useful, and then share it to me.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, November 04, 2011 9:50 AM
  • Hi Vicky,  Here is the event from the Application log:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
    Date:          11/4/2011 7:20:44 AM
    Event ID:      1309
    Task Category: Web Event
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      TFS.ndec.us
    Description:
    Event code: 3005
    Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
    Event time: 11/4/2011 7:20:44 AM
    Event time (UTC): 11/4/2011 11:20:44 AM
    Event ID: 882991be01fb4414837635c9d8440e04
    Event sequence: 2
    Event occurrence: 1
    Event detail code: 0

Application information:
        Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/8080/ROOT/tfs/web-1-129648792253513396
        Trust level: Full
        Application Virtual Path: /tfs/web
        Application Path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010\Application Tier\Web Access\Web\
        Machine name: TFS

Process information:
        Process ID: 4124
        Process name: w3wp.exe
        Account name: NDEC\TFSService

Exception information:
        Exception type: FileLoadException
        Exception message: The given assembly name or codebase, 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WebAccess.Common\10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WebAccess.Common.dll', was invalid.

Request information:
        Request URL: http://tfs:8080/tfs/web/Index.aspx
        Request path: /tfs/web/Index.aspx
        User host address: 2002:8cfe:30e8::8cfe:30e8
        User: 
        Is authenticated: False
        Authentication Type: 
        Thread account name: NDEC\TFSService

Thread information:
        Thread ID: 3
        Thread account name: NDEC\TFSService
        Is impersonating: True
        Stack trace:    at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WebAccess.WebAccessApplication.OnBeginRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Custom event details:

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="32768">1309</EventID>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>3</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-11-04T11:20:44.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>8240</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>TFS.ndec.us</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>3005</Data>
        <Data>An unhandled exception has occurred.</Data>
        <Data>11/4/2011 7:20:44 AM</Data>
        <Data>11/4/2011 11:20:44 AM</Data>
        <Data>882991be01fb4414837635c9d8440e04</Data>
        <Data>2</Data>
        <Data>1</Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
        <Data>/LM/W3SVC/8080/ROOT/tfs/web-1-129648792253513396</Data>
        <Data>Full</Data>
        <Data>/tfs/web</Data>
        <Data>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010\Application Tier\Web Access\Web\</Data>
        <Data>TFS</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>4124</Data>
        <Data>w3wp.exe</Data>
        <Data>NDEC\TFSService</Data>
        <Data>FileLoadException</Data>
        <Data>The given assembly name or codebase, 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WebAccess.Common\10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WebAccess.Common.dll', was invalid.</Data>
        <Data>http://tfs:8080/tfs/web/Index.aspx</Data>
        <Data>/tfs/web/Index.aspx</Data>
        <Data>2002:8cfe:30e8::8cfe:30e8</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>False</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>3</Data>
        <Data>True</Data>
        <Data>   at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WebAccess.WebAccessApplication.OnBeginRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean&amp; completedSynchronously)
    </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Friday, November 04, 2011 11:25 AM
  • Hello IDEC_Scott,

I am sorry I can’t get more useful information from the event logs you offered above either.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 10:18 AM
  • Hi Vicky,

Thank you for the update - I look forward to any help you can provide.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 1:32 PM
  • Can you go to the TFS Application Tier machine, open IE and type this URL:

http://localhost:8080/tfs/web

Does the Team Web Access page appear?

Are you using SSL on your TFS 2010 Server?

Try clearing the Team Web Access cache located at:

%Program Files%\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 10.0\Application Tier\Web Access

on the Application tier server.  You can remove any cache files in that folder.

Delete the client side cache directory on the client machine:

1. Exit Visual Studio

2. Open a command window and navigate to the folder: "%localappdata%\Microsoft\Team Foundation\" (Note: For Windows Server 2003 navigate to \Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Team Foundation folder)

3. For Visual Studio 2010 clients navigate to the sub folder: "3.0" and delete the sub folder "cache" and its contents

Try connecting from a client machine.

--Trevor H.
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 10:56 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Trevor,

I tried your suggestions - here are the results:

Accessing http://localhost:8080/tfs/web on the TFS App Tier machine gave the same error.

We are not using SSL.

There were no cache files located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010\Application Tier\Web Access, only the Web folder.

On my client machine, the 3.0 folder is empty.

In addition, I used gacutil.exe on the TFS App Tier machine to verify that the DLL mentioned in the error message is indeed in the GAC:

Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility.  Version 3.5.30729.1
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

The Global Assembly Cache contains the following assemblies:
      Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WebAccess.Common, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a, processorArchitecture=MSIL

Number of items = 1

Thursday, November 10, 2011 12:18 PM
  • Hi,

From the description, it sounds you have the Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WebAccess.Common  assembly in the GAC but it is either corrupt or may be not at SP1 level.

To verify if it is at SP1 level, you needs to confirm if the version reported on the Version tab on the assembly properties dialog box is 10.0.30319.1.

Check this using Windows Explorer and getting a Properties on the Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WebAccess.Common.dll  file and checking the Version Tab.

If this file does has an older version, you can update the assembly by trying to apply TFS 2010 SP1 again.

Thanks!

--Trevor H.
    Friday, November 11, 2011 4:05 PM
    Owner
  • Hi,

Using the command line I was able to copy the dll from its location in the GAC to a regular Windows folder, then check its properties.  The Details tab shows a File version of 10.0.30319.1  and the size of the file is 129,936 bytes.

Its location in the GAC is C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WebAccess.Common\10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\

(Note the 10.0.0.0 part - is that correct?)

Saturday, November 12, 2011 11:13 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I recommend you try reinstalling SP1 for Team Foundation Server 2010 then try to connect to Team Web Access. If this does not work and you want to pursue a solution, you should open a support case with Commercial Technical Support. Visit this link to see the various support options that are available to better meet your needs:  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone.

Trevor Hancock (Microsoft)
    Please remember to "Mark As Answer" the replies that help.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 3:07 PM
    Owner
  • Hi,

I tried reinstalling SP1 for Team Foundation Server 2010, but I'm still getting the same error.  I'll open a support case.  Thanks for your efforts!

Saturday, November 19, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Did you get this resolved? I get the same issue.
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 4:43 PM
  • Hi NvnSharma,

I did finally get this resolved after many phone calls with Microsoft Support.  If I could start all over again, I would not have bothered setting up the domain accounts, as we were never able to sort out all the permissions they seemed to require, despite carefully following the TFS installation docs.  In the end, we had to switch many of the service accounts in TFS to the "default" accounts (such as Network Service, I think).  If you can do it, I would recommend starting over with a fresh install and using all the "default" accounts that the TFS install wants to use.

Good Luck!

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:25 PM
  • Well I am able to fix this issue,

Sharing the Fix to help others:

We get the following error due to IIS_IUSRS a/c is missing some group policies.

"'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WebAccess.Common\10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\ Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WebAccess.Common.dll'

Here is what we need to do:

On App Tier->Start-Run- gpedit.msc -> Computer Configuration->Windows Setting->Security Setting->Local Policy->User Rights Assignment

Add the IIS_IUSRS a/c to the following policies:

• Bypass Travers Checking
      • Impersonate a client after authentication
      • Log on as batch job

We were faced this issue two times in our differrent environment. And the above solution fixed it for both. So it's worth a try.

Thanks,

Naveen Sharma

Friday, September 28, 2012 3:09 PM