none
3D reconstruction

Question

• Great Minds

i have been doing some search and re search about 3d reconstruction using Kinect and i am unsuccessfull..

is there an sample program which demonstrates the capabilities of kinect to capture an object with 3D information and displaying the model in an WPF ?

or

does anyone know of the steps required to capture 3d information of the object through kinect, and reconstruction it

idea is to make use of the kinect as a scanner

• Edited by NJSathya Wednesday, January 04, 2012 12:43 PM
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 12:39 PM

Answers

• I have progressed well to measurements. 

Export xyz

Make mesh of xyz

Now working on measurement 

• Marked as answer by NJSathya Monday, June 11, 2012 3:24 PM
    Monday, June 11, 2012 3:24 PM

All replies

• I think codeplex.com might have some small scale project or library that would help you on your quest but i would like to know if you find someone that's already created one.
    Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 11:34 PM
  • I'm not sure how deep you want to get into it, but there is a really fantastic paper about using a Kinect to build a surface reconstruction using a volumetric signed distance function.  Here is the link to the paper:

http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/155378/ismar2011.pdf

Even if you don't implement the algorithm, it is worth reading through for understanding how to work with the depth data.  I believe there is also an open source implementation of the algorithm in the Point Cloud Library:

http://pointclouds.org/news/kinectfusion-open-source.html

If you decide to implement something as open source, please be sure to post a link to it here!

- Jason Zink

Thursday, January 05, 2012 7:19 PM
  • Have you tryed  looking into kinect fusion which can import a whole scene around you in seconds it claims?

http://research.microsoft.com/apps/video/default.aspx?id=152815

My mistake still in development but wouldn't hurt to check for a codeplex website because most open source or educational projects use it because its organized in terms of getting project members in the right direction.

Jason the first link is a good one but is over my head and probably the OP's head and is probably for a dedicated game/graphics programmer thats taken advanced physics.

Point cloud libraries relies on open ni drivers being installed so i dont think that will work with kinect sdk if thats what the OP above wants. So njsathya if you want to code with open ni i cant right now recommend Jasons app but i dont know of a library yet that supports kinect sdk yet by itself to support importing 3d models or a application but i will post again if i find one searching tonight.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:33 PM
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:09 PM
  • experts

i have done some more home work.

i need to transffer the depth information to some 3d file format standard, which can be opened in maya3d or meshlab or blah blah blah...

does any one know any open standard example like collard, which can be constructed from kinects depth data, and how to make meaning from the depth data ? with a player

Sunday, January 15, 2012 1:39 PM
  • Heres one program i found on codeplex for kinect 3d model animation import but im sure theirs a better solution but i just wanted to show an example for now:

http://mrdskinectcam.codeplex.com/

• Edited by The Thinker Sunday, January 15, 2012 1:51 PM
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 1:50 PM
  • The same library I linked to above (the point cloud library) has facilities for this.  You can read data into the point cloud library, and then save it to disk in a variety of formats.  I don't have any personal experience doing this, but some of the formats are very simple to use such as the PLY format.
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:28 PM
  • I cant find the earlier discussions about this because somewhere someone else has asked this question or similar and got it answered.

Friday, January 20, 2012 1:31 AM
  • status update

currently i have managed to get xyz from the depth stream and dump it in a file in xyz format

this file can be opened in mesh lab

and it give a good view of the point clouds (but its just point cloud and not mesh or face)

even though the meshlab has ICP, its not effective or i dont know how to do it

questions

how can i attach two kinect to one machine, and read the stream, so that i capture the subject from two angles ?

do you guys know any other effective way to stich multiple point cloud together ?

can anyone let me know how to apply mesh or face on top of point cloud data ?

any help will be appreciated

P.S.

thanks to all replier below , with out whom i wouldnt have reached this far

• Edited by NJSathya Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:09 AM Missed one question
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:42 AM
  • I have progressed well to measurements. 

Export xyz

Make mesh of xyz

Now working on measurement 

• Marked as answer by NJSathya Monday, June 11, 2012 3:24 PM
    Monday, June 11, 2012 3:24 PM
  • I forgot have you tryed reconstructme.net's 3d construction program that uses kinect sdk when using kinect for windows?

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:09 PM