CDRW/DVDRW missing from My Computer, Device Manager, Drive Management..., for Windows XP OS

Question

• Hi,
    My Toshiba A105 laptop with XP SP2 was working fine till two days back. The last thing I did with my CD drive was to write a data CD using Nero software. The next day, I could not find the CD/DVD drive in My Computer, Device Manager, and Disk Management. I used the 314060.exe tool provided in these Microsoft forums to remove the upper and lower filters. This did not solve the problem. Then I did a system restore to the day on which everything was working fine. But, this did not help. I have also removed all third party CD/DVD writing software.

I tried logging into Safe Mode to fix, but still did not find the CD/DVD in My Computer, Device Manager, and Disk Management.

If I load a data CD, I can hear the disk spinning and the LED also lights up. I believe this indicates that the disk still has power. The Toshiba Dignostic Tool says that it could not fing the CD/DVD drive.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Shankar

Saturday, November 24, 2007 6:23 AM

All replies

• Same issue with my Toshiba Laptop also.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 6:07 PM
  • I am currently experiencing this problem on my Fujitsu Siemens laptop. I've run the guided help from microsoft, but it's not changed the situation. Any help on this issue would be very very welcome.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:25 PM
  • Just yesterday, my DVD burner, sandisk sansa, and eSATA external hard drive are showing up as locked in Vista Home Premium.  Safe mode still works, but I've only installed Windows updates recently.  I'm about to system restore.  We'll see...

P.S. I've got an Acer Aspire AMD Turion laptop.
    Friday, February 01, 2008 9:01 PM
  • Hi Shankar,

Did you ever find a solution for your problem??? I have exactly the same problem on my laptop.

Any help is much appreciated.

Gabriel

• Proposed as answer by isimchin Saturday, April 09, 2011 1:50 PM
    Friday, July 04, 2008 3:05 PM