none
Customized work item - different behaviour in Visual Studio 2012 Team Explorer and TFS 2012 Team Web Access

Question

• Hello,

I have the following problem while customizing bug work item in the CMMI template.

I want during trancition from Active to Resolved state "Assign to" field automatically changed to the group [MyProject]\Test Manager. 

I have created group [MyProject]\Test Manager and modified "Assigned to" field as follows in order to allow groups in the list:

<FieldDefinition name="Assigned To" refname="System.AssignedTo" type="String" syncnamechanges="true" reportable="dimension">
      <ALLOWEXISTINGVALUE />
      <ALLOWEDVALUES expanditems="true">
        <LISTITEM value="[project]\Contributors" />
      </ALLOWEDVALUES>
      <HELPTEXT>The person investigating or fixing the bug, or verifying the fix</HELPTEXT>
    </FieldDefinition>

I modified transition from Active to Resolved state as follows:

<Transition from="Active" to="Resolved">
    ... (all other fields and actions are untouched)
        <FIELD refname="System.AssignedTo">
          <COPY from="value" value="[Project]\Test Manager" />
        </FIELD>
      </FIELDS>
    </Transition>

Now in Visual Studio 2012 Team Explorer everything works as expected but in TFS 2012 Team Web Access when I change work item state from Active to Resolved it switches "Assign to" field to such abracadabra: eefe878c-3981-4737-9464-34b9d7335a3e\Test Manager . In parallel it shows warning (which is logical) - The field 'Assigned To' contains the value 'eefe878c-3981-4737-9464-34b9d7335a3e\Test Manager' that is not in the list of supported values.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Sergey, 

Thanks for your post.

Try the <COPY from=”value” value=“[project]\Test Manager”/>  in your transition xml.

Or try the follow rule for Assigned To field in Transition:

<Transition from="Active" to="Resolved">

...   ...   ...

<FIELD refname="System.AssignedTo">

<ALLOWEXISTINGVALUE />

<LISTITEM value="[project]\Test Manager" />

</ALLOWEDVALUES>

</FIELD>

</FIELDS>

</Transition>

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:06 AM
  • Hi John. Sorry for long delay. I have tried both and it didn't help.

I want to emphasize that in Visual Studio Team Explorer everything works well. It is the issue only in Web Access.

Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:12 AM
  • Hi Sergey,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried this scenario(in your initial post) in my VS 2012 Update 2, after edited the Bug work item type, when create a Bug work item in my VS 2012 Update 2, if I change the state from Active to Resolved, I will receive this error: The field ‘Assigned To’ contains the value “[projectname]\groupname” that is not in the list of support values. And in Web Access, I received the same error in your initial post.

It seems that we can’t reset the values for Assigned To filed by resetting Assigned To field in the Transition(from Active to Resolved). But this scenario works fine in your VS, I can’t make it work in my VS 2012 Update 2, do you know what I missed?

John Qiao [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, July 18, 2013 10:07 AM
  • Hi John. 

Don't  you forget to include your [projectname]\groupname to the [project]\Contributors group? If so then this value is really is not valid because of:
        <LISTITEM value="[project]\Contributors" />
      </ALLOWEDVALUES>

In my setup it works fine including automatic transition from Resolved to Active during check-in of the sources with assosiated work items. But i use VS2012 version 11.0.6061001 Update 3.

Regards,

Sergey.

Friday, July 19, 2013 5:04 AM
  • Hi Sergey, 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I forgot  that. After add that group into [project]\Contributors group, I reproduced this scenario in my TFS Web Access, and received the same error. For this scenario, please submit it to Microsoft Connect Feedback portal at: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio. Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously.

John Qiao [MSFT]

Friday, July 19, 2013 6:39 AM
  • Thanks, John.

I've created bug report in the connect.microsoft.com

Regards,

Sergey.

Friday, July 19, 2013 1:52 PM