Metro App Load Problems (Related To Store)

Question

• When I installed Windows 8 for the first time it ran flawlessly and I had set up my Twitter and RSS apps and they worked fine as well. Now after a reboot I'm having a problem. Every time I go to open a app it takes me to the App Store telling me coming soon. I can't seem to figure out why it's doing that. If anyone can help me with this that would be awesome!
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:10 PM

All replies

• Bump sorry...
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:13 PM
  • I will second this issue.

When attempting to open any non-standard Metro UI apps (even ones I had opened previously), I get message telling me that the Windows Store isn't available in the Developer Preview. I figured this was just related to my Internet going down earlier in the day, so I restarted my computer and tried again: same issue.

This is on the x86 version of the Windows Developer Preview on a Intel Mac mini (Core Duo, Early 2006). I am signing into the computer using a Windows Live account. Other Internet related apps are functioning without any issue.

I wished I could provide additional information about this issue, but I've barely played with the WDP yet and haven't made any changes to the base install.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:25 AM
  • Switch back to a local account, or create a new account that is local, not a Live ID one.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:43 AM
  • The first account I created was local. Metro apps ran but then stopped working. Every account I've created since is a Live ID account and works. The only one that refuses to work is the original one.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:42 PM
  • The following should fix the behavior. Go to Control Panel, General and select "Refresh your PC without affecting your files".

We've seen a few issues where the licenses for a particular user don't get installed correctly -- this should fix that.

Thanks for the feedback on the Windows Developer Preview.

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:04 PM
  • But that doesnt work!!
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 3:56 AM
  • Hey Pjgowtham,

Did you try creating a new user account, refreshing your PC, or both? If you haven't tried both, please try the option that you haven't tried yet to see if that resolves your problem.

If that doesn't help, please describe exactly what happens when you try to open Metro style applications as well as any error messages that you receive.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven
    Monday, January 02, 2012 11:00 PM
  • Hey Pjgowtham,

Did you try creating a new user account, refreshing your PC, or both? If you haven't tried both, please try the option that you haven't tried yet to see if that resolves your problem.

If that doesn't help, please describe exactly what happens when you try to open Metro style applications as well as any error messages that you receive.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven

I guess I'll bump this old thread for a reply. I was having the same issue as the OP and so I created a new account and the Metro style apps worked again. I created a restore point just in case and continued with setting personal settings up on the new account, everything was still working. Then I deleted the original account and soon afterwards I had the issue with apps not loading and getting redirected to the Store app, giving me the "Coming Soon. Windows Store isn't available..." screen. I didn't get any error messages with the app, just the redirect to the Store.

I went and loaded up the Restore point I had made and upon restart (in which the original account was restored back before I deleted it) the Metro apps worked again. When I noticed the Metro apps not working on the original account it was after I had deleted another user, so I'm beginning to think it's related.

My resolution is 1920x1080 and I tried other solutions such as refreshing the PC and SFC /scannow, which I've seen works elsewhere. UAC had been untouched.

Saturday, February 04, 2012 7:03 PM