none
How can I avoid my problem when uploading "too many" excel-web-parts

Question

• Hi everyone,

I tried to google for a solution for hours but could not find anything. Seems to be either an individual problem that only affects me or just simply unknown so far.

I do not use SharePoint-Designer but only the Browser-Version if you know what I mean.

I created a web-part-page and uploaded a couple of excel-web-parts (charts linked to an uploaded excel-document). But as soon as I upload more than 8 (sometimes 7 or 9) web parts, the page refuses to load and I need to login. But for some reason my logins do not get accepted even if I do have all permissions to do so (adminstrator). Only way to get back to the page is to delete the amount of web parts to reach 8 again..

Does anyone know how I can deal with that problem? I would love to have at least 16 webparts on one page, even if that would take ages to load.

Thank you so much for your help!

Friday, January 10, 2014 11:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to this documentation from MSDN about SharePoint Server 2010 capacity management: Software boundaries and limits:

“In SharePoint Server 2010, there are certain limits that are by design and cannot be exceeded”, “The default values for these limits were defined by testing, and represent the known limitations of the product. Exceeding supported limits may cause unexpected results, significant decrease in performance, or other harmful effects”, “in most cases, operating at or near an established limit is not a best practice, as acceptable performance and reliability targets are best achieved when a farm’s design provides for a reasonable balance of limits values”.

So it is not recommended to add many web parts into one page.

If there is a special need to display many Excel workbooks in one page, you can try to do some customization in Excel to reorganize the content of different Excel Workbooks to make them briefly displayed in a “summary” workbook.

Another way to achieve this would be developing a custom Excel Web Part which will get contents from Excel Workbooks and displayed in only one web part.

Best regards

Patrick Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 13, 2014 7:18 AM