Sandcastle not rendering return type?

Question

• Well i have a assembly with a few classes in and a interface with a few methods

Now when i run SandCastle on this assembly it generates a documentation like it should but if i go to a method on the interface it does not document the return type the way it does with the parameters..

My guess is that some thing is wrong in a style file or some thing but i have no idea what file to edit so what am i missing?

• Sandcastle Help File Builder Utilities, version 1.9.3.0
    • Sandcastle-June 2010 Release (Version 2.6.1062.1)
    • Sandcastle Styles June 2010 (2.6.10621.1) - Rev 1

Im using the vs2005 style

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:07 AM

All replies

• Make sure you've added a <returns> element to document the return value for the method.  If you have, check the XML comments file to make sure it's in there too.  If not, you may need to rebuild your project to get the comments file up to date.  Those are the two typical issues with missing documentation.

Eric

• Proposed as answer by EWoodruff Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:26 PM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:26 PM
  • The <returns> part is there and the text in it is rendered but the Type is not... if you look at msdn it has the return type look at Console.ReadKey()

Return Value
    Type: System.ConsoleKeyInfo
    A ConsoleKeyInfo object that describes the ConsoleKey constant and Unicode character, if any, that correspond to the pressed console key. The ConsoleKeyInfo object also describes, in a bitwise combination of ConsoleModifiers values, whether one or more SHIFT, ALT, or CTRL modifier keys was pressed simultaneously with the console key.

The bold part is what im missing...

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:31 AM
  • Sandcastle doesn't render the type information for the return information and I don't think it ever has.  Provided the information is in the reflection information file, the XSL transformations could be modified to render it.  I don't have time to look into it now but may be able to at some point to find out if its possible.

Eric

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:57 PM