Windows 8 Slow

Question

• I don't know if it's because I installed W8 dev preview over windows 7 and keeping my files and profile that Windows 8 seems very slow on a dual core with 4gig ram
    x64 laptop

If you tell me it's much faster if I install it from scratch with nothing else, I will.

Marcheur extrême...
    Friday, September 23, 2011 9:08 PM

Answers

• I did a clean install and it runs very fast.

But your speed could be because of drivers - have you tried installing the newest Windows 7 drivers? Not all drivers will work because Windows 8 is so new, try compatibility mode if needed.

In general a clean install usually gives you the best performance.

Friday, September 23, 2011 9:15 PM

All replies

• I did a clean install and it runs very fast.

But your speed could be because of drivers - have you tried installing the newest Windows 7 drivers? Not all drivers will work because Windows 8 is so new, try compatibility mode if needed.

In general a clean install usually gives you the best performance.

Friday, September 23, 2011 9:15 PM
  • Remember that we're talking about a pre-Beta release, with limited hardware and software support and whose code is not fully optimized yet: at this moment, I prefer to test Windows 8 in a virtual machine.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    Friday, September 23, 2011 9:43 PM
  • In case the graphics are slow, make sure your graphics drivers are installed and functioning correctly. If it's slow in general it might be a bug somewhere, or your hardware not getting full support.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Friday, September 23, 2011 11:11 PM
  • All of the above isn't related as Windows 7 drivers are very up to date, the graphics is good enough to play Crysis very smoothly so I assume the only thing remaining is the clean install I did not do but I'm not sure until someone else comes to tell me he's experiencing the same thing because he did install the same way.

When I say slow, I say it because VS 11 is slow to start, the designer is very slow, setting properties for controls is very very hard, there's no spinner like Blend for Margins and properties like that so I have to set them manually but by doing so, just moving the mouse is slogish and the Metro Style lags when scrolling with the scrollbar using the mouse or the MouseWheel on the interface.

I absolutely know that it's a PRE RELEASE, believe me.  I'm not here to say negative things about it, I'm here to understand if I have everything right as I want my experience to be the best to see how the development of W8 is.

Marcheur extrême...
    Friday, September 23, 2011 11:31 PM
  • I would add that prior to install W8 over my W7, everything was perfectly smooth like a baby skin.
    Marcheur extrême...
    Friday, September 23, 2011 11:33 PM