File or assembly name CrystalDecisions.Web, or one of its dependencies, was not found.

Question

• To All

I have developed a report in VS 2003 that is ran in both a Win App and a Webpage.  When I run the app or the webpage via "localhost" the report is ran correctly.  When I run the webpage on our webserver (different machine) I get the error:

"File or assembly name CrystalDecisions.Web, or one of its dependencies, was not found."

I have found a post on the http://support.businessobjects.com website refering to the assemblies being different versions but this not the case here.

Following is the full error from the website:

Server Error in '/webKanban' Application.

Parser Error

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: File or assembly name CrystalDecisions.Web, or one of its dependencies, was not found.

Source Error:

Line 1:  <%@ Register TagPrefix="cr" Namespace="CrystalDecisions.Web" Assembly="CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=9.1.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304" %>
    Line 2:  <%@ Page language="c#" Codebehind="rptKanbanStatus.aspx.cs" AutoEventWireup="false" Inherits="webKanban.rptKanbanStatus1" %>
    Line 3:  <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" >

Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\www.SchuetteMetals.com\webKanban\rptKanbanStatus.aspx    Line: 1

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'CrystalDecisions.Web' could not be loaded.

=== Pre-bind state information ===
    LOG: DisplayName = CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=9.1.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304
     (Fully-specified)
    LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/www.SchuetteMetals.com/webKanban
    LOG: Initial PrivatePath = bin
    Calling assembly : (Unknown).
    ===

LOG: Publisher policy file is not found.
    LOG: No redirect found in host configuration file (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet.config).
    LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\config\machine.config.
    LOG: Post-policy reference: CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=9.1.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET Files/webkanban/c0b253be/6287b651/CrystalDecisions.Web.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET Files/webkanban/c0b253be/6287b651/CrystalDecisions.Web/CrystalDecisions.Web.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/www.SchuetteMetals.com/webKanban/bin/CrystalDecisions.Web.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/www.SchuetteMetals.com/webKanban/bin/CrystalDecisions.Web/CrystalDecisions.Web.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET Files/webkanban/c0b253be/6287b651/CrystalDecisions.Web.EXE.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET Files/webkanban/c0b253be/6287b651/CrystalDecisions.Web/CrystalDecisions.Web.EXE.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/www.SchuetteMetals.com/webKanban/bin/CrystalDecisions.Web.EXE.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/www.SchuetteMetals.com/webKanban/bin/CrystalDecisions.Web/CrystalDecisions.Web.EXE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

---------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

David Davis

Thursday, June 30, 2005 3:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello David,

It sounds like you need to deploy the Crystal Reports .NET components to the web server.  Here is a link to a whitepaper on this:

http://support.businessobjects.com/communityCS/TechnicalPapers/crnet_deployment.pdf.asp

Keith - Business Objects
    Wednesday, July 06, 2005 4:27 PM
  • I'm having a similar problem but I'm trying to deploy a .net 2 web application and I can only find references to the 2003 merge module type of deployments.

The message that I'm getting from my server is:

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=10.2.51014.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

Line 24:     <authentication mode="Windows"/>
    Line 25:     <httpHandlers>
    Line 26:       <add verb="GET" path="CrystalImageHandler.aspx" type="CrystalDecisions.Web.CrystalImageHandler, CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=10.2.51014.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/>
    Line 27:     </httpHandlers>
    Line 28:   </system.web>

Source File: C:\Inetpub\Intranet\web.config    Line: 26

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=10.2.51014.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' could not be loaded.

Again, this app runs just fine on the development machine under VS 2005, but chokes when moved to the production server.  BTW, the production server already has Business Objects 11 installed and operational.  I'm simply trying to publish a few reports for general consumption on an intranet site.

Jason

Saturday, December 31, 2005 1:42 AM
  • I'm experiencing a problem similar to that above.

First off, adding the CrystalREportViewer added a series of assemblies with incorrect versioning. All the version numbers were corrected by me from 11.5.3700.0 to the correct versions.

<add assembly="CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine, Version=11.5.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/>

<add assembly="CrystalDecisions.ReportSource, Version=11.5.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/>

<add assembly="CrystalDecisions.Shared, Version=11.5.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/>

<add assembly="CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=11.5.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/>

<add assembly="CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ClientDoc, Version=11.5.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/></assemblies>

Apart from that, the httpHandler was added (with the correct versioning I believe), and I'm not sure how to get it working.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'CrystalDecisions.Web.CrystalImageHandler' from assembly 'CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=11.5.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304'.

Source Error:

Line 58:     <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    Line 59:     <!-- more incorrect versioning provided by the IDE-->
    Line 60:   <httpHandlers><add verb="GET" path="CrystalImageHandler.aspx" type="CrystalDecisions.Web.CrystalImageHandler, CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=11.5.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/></httpHandlers></system.web>
    Line 61: </configuration>

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\botest2\web.config    Line: 60

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 12:49 AM
  • I am having the same problem.  I have tried installing Crystal XI on both my workstation and my web server to no avail. When I fell back to an older OS image I still am not able to get the crystal that came with VS 2005 to load a report on my web server.  Any help would be appreciated!
    Friday, January 27, 2006 5:59 PM
  • Business Objects just released merge modules for VS 2005 bundled version of Crystal.  Can be found at:

http://support.businessobjects.com/fix/merge_modules.asp

Monday, February 06, 2006 9:03 PM
  • Hi,

I'm facing something similar. I publish my webpage on my computerA, copy the file generated to another computerB. And this computer is retrieving data from a server. But only using sharing SQL. But it give me this error message.

Configuration Error

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=10.2.3600.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

Line 19: 		</compilation>
    Line 20: 		<customErrors mode="Off"></customErrors>
    Line 21: 		<httpHandlers><add verb="GET" path="CrystalImageHandler.aspx" type="CrystalDecisions.Web.CrystalImageHandler, CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=10.2.3600.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/></httpHandlers>
    Line 22: 		<!--globalization culture="en-US" /-->
    Line 23: 	</system.web>

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\mica\web.config    Line: 21

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=10.2.3600.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' could not be loaded.

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
    To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
    Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
    To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

can someone please help me...

Regards,

HongZ

Monday, March 06, 2006 12:03 PM
  • Hello,

I tried to deploy a web application with crystal reports done in VS 2005 . I also experiece the same problem. Can anyone pls. help me.

Configuration Error

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=11.5.3700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

Line 74:         </customErrors>
    Line 75:         -->
    Line 76: 	<httpHandlers><add verb="GET" path="CrystalImageHandler.aspx" type="CrystalDecisions.Web.CrystalImageHandler, CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=11.5.3700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/></httpHandlers></system.web>
    Line 77: </configuration>

Source File: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\EauctionResult\web.config    Line: 76

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=11.5.3700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' could not be loaded.

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
    To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
    Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
    To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 2:29 AM
  • Hi All.

Don't know if this might help anyone else (in fact I was on my way to post about how I had the same problem), but the problem seems to have solved itself.

After getting the error I commented out the <add .... > tag and ran the page.   The report came up properly except the page did not display any of the graphics.  Instead, where there were images it said, "Image".

Then, I uncommented the tag, and it started working showing the reports and all the graphics.

FYI, our app is a VS2005 Web Application Project on Win2K3 (ASP.NET 2.0), IIS6, Crystal Reports XI Service Release 2.

I have no idea why this worked for me, but it did.  I hope it will help someone else out there.

Cheers.

DS

Thursday, March 30, 2006 10:42 PM
  • Follow this,i had also same problem ,now it is working.

step 1-goto iis

right click virtual directory

select property

step2--goto asp.net tab

change asp.net version to 2.0.50727

step 3 iisreset

now run the programme.

it will work.

jagdish

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 9:25 AM
  • If it helps, I'm having a similar issue with a windows app.  We need the latest version of Crystal Reports for the updated editable rich text outpout.  We are screwed too, until a new merge module is released.  For now, we have changed the 3 required assembly references from Version=11.5.3700.0 to Version=11.5.3300.0, and it still seems to run once installed on workstations, even though Visual Studio 2005 complains every time we open the solution that it wants to update the references to avoid design time issues.

Our References look like this now...

<Reference Include="CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine, Version=11.5.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304" />
        <Reference Include="CrystalDecisions.ReportSource, Version=11.5.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304" />
        <Reference Include="CrystalDecisions.Shared, Version=11.5.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304" />

Luckily we have the 1.0 framework already installed from previous releases, because version 3700 uses the 2.0 framework and 3300 uses 1.0.  So we are hoping that someone at "Business Objects", wakes up before the application completes QA testing.

Note to all: Don't buy Crystal Reports if you are doing Visual Studio Development, unless absolutely necessary.  You end up creating more headaches than its worth.

Friday, June 02, 2006 3:11 PM
  • You want the Crystal Reports Merge Modules.

The relevant version is available at http://support.businessobjects.com/fix/merge_modules.asp?ref=default.asp_wwwjump#07

Hope this helps...

Ashwin

Monday, June 12, 2006 5:03 PM
  • Maybe the merge modules dated 5/19 will help if you are running version 11, but for those having troubles under version 11 release 2, the merge modules haven't been updated since 3/10/06, so its still contains the assemblies with the 11.5.3300.0 versions, not 11.5.3700.0 as Crystal Reports whines about upgrading my project references to every time I open my solution in Visual Studio, but at least it works.

Chris

Monday, June 12, 2006 9:18 PM
  • Hi,

You can install only the “Common Components” of the Crystal Reports, of CD of Visual Studio (2003 or 2005) in Server ou Client machine.   

Thanks,

Thursday, August 24, 2006 6:29 PM
  •  

Merger modules for Crystal XI Release 2:

http://support.businessobjects.com/downloads/merge_modules.asp#06

Thanks

Andy

Friday, November 24, 2006 12:56 PM
  • I was getting the same error

Could not load file or assembly 'CrystalDecisions.ReportSource, Version=11.5.3700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

The reason that I was getting the error is because I was using the wrong merge module in my setup project.

There are two similarly named merge modules that are for Crystal XI R2, you use one if you have .NET 1.0 or 1.1 and the other if you are using .NET 2.0

CrystalReports11_5_NET.msm  if you are using .NET 1.x
    CrystalReports11_5_NET_2005.msm if you are using .NET 2.0

Monday, April 02, 2007 6:25 AM
  • To get round this problem, I changed the a property of the CrystalReport References.

"Copy Local" = true

Then re published the app & it works fine!

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 1:43 PM
  • I found this on another site and it worked great for me!

I solved this problem by installing the crystal runtime package that can be found on your local computer (I believe it is installed with visual studio 2008).  It is located in: 

\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\CrystalReports10_5

• Proposed as answer by jigme Thursday, January 07, 2010 10:41 AM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Hi All,

I had the same problem but its resolved now. If you are sure that you have crystal reports installed, please refer GAC for right versions from c:\WINDOWS\assembly\

and update your config file. This worked for me.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 10:25 AM
  • i have  change my web config as rajasekarm .according to my version in c:\WINDOWS\assembly\

it's working

thank's

rajasekarm

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:53 AM
  • Dear all,

I also face same problem and I diganose that The error came because of Version problem. Its best solution is you remove all "Version=10.2.51014.0," in Web.conf. Your application will run.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:59 AM