Tuesday, September 04, 2012 9:34 PM
I am working on a prototype Outlook 2013 mail application that would allow a user to attach the contents of an email to an external system. In this case the external system is a SAAS task tracking web application, but could just as easily be any external web app like an hosted CRM app, ERP system, etc.
The desired workflow would be:
- User opens an email in Outlook 2013 (via the web or desktop app) and wants to "attach" the email to an external system.
- User clicks on our app's link from the list of installed mail apps across the top of the message.
- Our Outlook mail app opens and lets the user search and choose a record to "attach" their email to.
- Our Outlook app then makes an XMLHTTP request to our hosted web application to append the message's data to the relevant record.
We have this all working with the exception of getting the mail body in step #4. I have tried defining a ItemHasRegularExpressionMatch rule with a RegExValue of "(.*)" and then checking the value of it via the JS API, but I get back a String array with about the first 800 or so characters in the mail message.
Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Wednesday, September 05, 2012 4:19 PM
Hi tfasz - have you looked into using the makeEwsRequestAsync Exchange Web Service api - this requires a higher permission level (ReadWriteMailbox) - which means that the app must be installed by an admin - but should do what you want.
Hope this helps....patrick
- Marked As Answer by tfasz Wednesday, September 05, 2012 7:44 PM
Wednesday, September 05, 2012 7:44 PM
Thanks for the help Patrick - that was the pointer I needed.
Since everything else is available via the JS API, you might want to include something in the Office 2013 mail app docs to mention that the body is only available via the Exchange web service api. I saw the example about getting the subject via the web service but it didn't really make sense since you can get it via the JS API.
Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:48 AMCan you please update the link as the starter link no longer works.
Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:48 PM
Hmm, we'll find the people responsible and take them out and flog them...actually the problem is that we put a ")" at the end of the url and the cut/paste functionality of this edit control seems to be against this.