none
Infopath- populate list with icon based on dropdown selection

Question

• Hi, I have an Infopath form tied to a main list. In the form I have a dropdown that's populated with a name from a secondary list. I'm trying to add an icon (jpeg picture) to a column in the main list based on what's selected in the dropdown on the Infopath form. Is this possible WITHOUT coding? If so, how?

Main list/Infopath form:

Column 1: Name (populated dropdown from secondary list)

Column 2: Matching Icon (populated based on name selection)

Secondary list:

Column 1: Name

Column 2: Icon

cameron rautmann

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:55 PM

All replies

• HI Croute1,

Have you tried creating a workflow to do this with SharePoint Designer?

You could use an If condition and then use the 'Set Field in Current Item' as Action.

Daniel Christian (MCTS)

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 4:26 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Daniel! Unfortunately, I can't use SharePoint Designer. Do you know if it's possible in another manner?

cameron rautmann

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:04 PM
  • Hi Cameron,

In InfoPath form, you will have to create secondary data connection to the Secondary list. Then create Rule on the Name drop down from Main list. Condition would be If Name="ABC", run Action: Set a Field's Value.

Select Field from Main Data Connection to be the Matching Icon. For Value, Insert Field or Group, Switch to Advanced View, select Secondary list as Data Connection. Select Icon from secondary list. Click on Filter Data and Add condition where Main Data Connection (Name) = secondary Data Connection (Name).

You might have to do follow this for each of the Name in Main list which is not the best design but depending on constraints, you might have to. Hope it helps.

Regards, Kapil ***Please mark answer as Helpful or Answered after consideration***

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:02 PM
  • Thanks for the info. Kapil, your basis works, however I cannot select the icon field from the secondary list. All I can select from it is the ID and Name. I believe it's because the icon field isn't just a text field, it's a "hyperlink or picture" field.

cameron rautmann

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:39 PM
  • That is correct, I don't think InfoPath will render icons in the drop down. It just shows text.

Regards, Kapil ***Please mark answer as Helpful or Answered after consideration***

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:14 PM