none
BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP LOG msdb

Question

• Hi,
    I am getting following error message daily into my error log.
    I am running FULL Backup, Diff Backup an T-Log Backup.
    This message is every morning early I see and looks like during same time my T-log backup job also running.
    I have also checked that MSDB is in SIMPLE recovery mode and it's not part of my T-Log back up, it's only part of FULL BAckup - weekly.

ERROR:
    BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP LOG msdb. Check the backup application log for detailed messages.

Monday, September 30, 2013 3:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Someone (or something) is trying to backup msdb log, which fails because it's in simple recovery mode as you said.

Do your errors show who (or what) launched this backup log command?

Sebastian Sajaroff Senior DBA Pharmacies Jean Coutu

Monday, September 30, 2013 3:35 PM
  • check the detail error message.

If backup is coming that means tlog backup is firing on msdb. re check the backup configuration.

Regards,
    Rohit Garg
    (My Blog)
    This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights.
    Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, September 30, 2013 3:39 PM
  • Thanks Sebastian.

It's not showing anything except what I post the message.

Monday, September 30, 2013 5:47 PM
  • Thanks Rohit.

I already Rechecked ir, it's in SIMPLE Recovery Mode so it won't show up in Maintenance job configuration.

Monday, September 30, 2013 5:48 PM
  • Hi,

Please check your SQL Server logs.

Open SSMS, connect to your server\instance, then drill down to Management - SQL Server Logs.

Sebastian Sajaroff Senior DBA Pharmacies Jean Coutu

Monday, September 30, 2013 5:54 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, someone is trying to backup MSDB log, which fails because it's in simple recovery mode. We can check in the event viewer and find which account run this scheduled job. check the backup application log -actually means for you to check the Windows Event Viewer Logs. The application log and the SQL Server Error Log are 'tied' together with the application log usually showing more details. Also, look at the information in SQL Server Error log.
    Additionally, if someone created a job to back up the database with a third party application; it is likely that the failed job, has logged an error log, SQL Server will not give you much information, so you will need to check the log file which is been used by the application to log errors.

Thanks
    Candy Zhou

Friday, October 04, 2013 2:31 AM
  • If you are receiving this error message every morning then chances are that this is a scheduled job of some kind.

As others have said take a look at the SQL Error logs, but what you also need to do is check MSDB to see if there were any jobs running on the server at the same time. I would expect to see a job failure alert in the SQL Server Agent logs too.

Now it is possible that this is a remote query, but chances are it will be scheduled locally.

Find the job, make the change, test, stick the change in change control and deploy.

Also, it sounds like you do not have anything picking this up automatically, take a look into defining operators on your jobs, this should fire off an alert to you.

Regards,

Rich

If you find this helpful, please mark the post as helpful,
    If you think this solves the problem, please propose or mark it an an answer.

Please provide details on your SQL Server environment such as version and edition, also DDL statements for tables when posting T-SQL issues

Richard Douglas
    My Blog: Http://SQL.RichardDouglas.co.uk
    Twitter: @SQLRich
    Richard Douglas - SQL Server Professional

Friday, October 04, 2013 4:30 PM