How to go back to windows 7 after installing windows 8

Question

• I have created a partition on my hard drive and downloaded windows 8 developer preview without loosing any files for windows 7. However every time I restart my PC, I do not have choice to choose between windows 7 or 8?

Can anyone tell me what to do ?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:49 AM

All replies

• If you installed it the right way, you should see a choice screen between the "Windows Developer Preview" text and the Windows 8 lock screen.

So, your Windows 8 boots up into the lock screen without providing you with any choice screen for at least a few seconds?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:08 AM
  • Press WindowsKey + R and type "msconfig" and press enter.
    Then navigate to boot, and change the timer option to 30 (that's in seconds ofcourse).

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:25 PM
  • yes it does not provide me any choice :(
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Dylan-Meeus

I have done it but still same problem !

• Edited by ttt0600 Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:43 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:42 PM
  • The workaround is to put W8 first in the BIOS and add W7 to the W8 BCD.
    Otherwise, wait a few days till the new EasyBCD is avaible.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Sorry, i proposed that as the answer without reading further on.

Does msconfig.exe have two OS's listed? or just the one? If it's just the one then in Windows 8 move the mouse to the bottom left of the screen and click search, then scroll down, click settings and search for 'partition'. The Partition Manager should be the only result - click it and check your partitions. You should have two small partitions and two large partitions - if you only have one large partition then you're in trouble. Also check the capacities of both large partitions and then check the capacity of C:\ to make sure your using the 'newest' partition.

That won't solve your problem but it should re-assure you that you have/haven't made mistakes in the installation process.

Windows 8 doesn't seem to be able to access the Windows 7 filesystem on my machine, i would also recommend cold booting into Linux to check your filesystem.

You should have a look around your BIOS settings first, before trying a repair tool

Sunday, September 25, 2011 2:10 AM
  • Hello ttt0600,

Are you still experiencing this issue? If so could you take the steps below and send the output.txt and a screen shot of diskmgmt.msc to ComMod@Microsoft.com?

Open a Command Prompt:

Bcdedit /enum all  >  output.txt 

Include a link to the thread as well as your display name as well.

Important:  Please note this is not a support email address, and sending this information does not guarantee that Microsoft will be contacting you for a follow up

Thanks

Michael
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:11 PM