Black screen with mouse pointer after logon in windows 8 developer tools

Question

• after i logon, it just comes up as a black screen, im able to move my mouse pointer around the screen and sometimes when i hover in the bottom left hand corner of my screen a clock appears in the right hand corner but dissappears after i move my mouse but nothing else appears, i can get in to task manager using ctrl alt del

HELP!!!!!

also, when i add a device or insert a dvd, it opens auto play options, i selected the open files option but i cant see the explorer window, but i know its there because i can go through them using alt tab but the screen still stays black, i cannot see the explorer window

ok i can use some keyboard shortcuts, but i still cant see no windows, the background is just black :/ help me pleaseeeeeee

• Edited by jeppy_fish Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:02 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:16 PM

All replies

• Jeppy_fish?

Was it working correctly before or the problem started right after you finish installing Windows Developer Preview?  

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:02 PM
  • it was working fine, i had windows 7 ultimate, so the problem started after i installed windows developer prewiew :/
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Try this article http://captaindbg.com/how-to-repair-boot-issues-on-windows-8-developers-preview/
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert (IT Pro)
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Try this article http://captaindbg.com/how-to-repair-boot-issues-on-windows-8-developers-preview/

i did this last night lol, it didnt work. il try it again now,

its wierd becuase i can use the hot key Win+f and search disply in settings but when i click any of the options/results, everything disappears except the mouse pointer, it seems as though any window open is behind the black screen if that makes sense.  

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:47 PM

unfortunatly this didnt work :( i reinstalled windows developer preview and when i logged on, the desktop came on for about a second, then yet again, the screen went black, can it be a app thats causing this problem? i need help :(
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:14 PM
  • Try to get into Safe Mode and see if lets you login. It might be the display drivers.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Try to get into Safe Mode and see if lets you login. It might be the display drivers.

i dont know how to get into safe mode, i cant open cmd to add the boot option :/
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:29 PM
  • Jeppy_fish,

You can get into safe mode by pressing and hold Shift + F8 keys at boot to access the Advanced Boot Option menu and then select safe mode.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:46 PM
  • ok, i will try that and ill post up what happens :) thanks
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:39 PM
  • Jeppy_fish

You can get into safe mode by pressing and hold Shift + F8 keys at boot to access the Advanced Boot Option menu and then select safe mode.

ok, i pressed and held left shift + F8 but it just took me to the normal windows 8 options that you get when you just press F8 :/ what do i need to do to access safe mode?

im currently dual booting with win7 ultimate btw

• Edited by jeppy_fish Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:57 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:54 PM
  • jeppy_fish,

if Shift + F8 isn't working, the next thing to do is Refresh your PC.   It will reinstall Windows but keep your personal data.  Any 3rd party software will need to be reinstalled.

1. Press and hold F8 key at boot takes you straight into the menu
    2. Click on Troubleshoot
    3. Click on Refresh your PC
    4. Follow on screen guide.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:04 PM
  • jeppy_fish,

if Shift + F8 isn't working, the next thing to do is Refresh your PC.   It will reinstall Windows but keep your personal data.  Any 3rd party software will need to be reinstalled.

1. Press and hold F8 key at boot takes you straight into the menu
    2. Click on Troubleshoot
    3. Click on Refresh your PC
    4. Follow on screen guide.

this didnt work, i have reinstalled developer tools and that still didnt work btw.....
    • Edited by jeppy_fish Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:31 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:30 PM
  • jeppy_fish,

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re anMSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use linkto join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

In case the link above gets messed up, the URL is below:

ADD1-RY34-K4T4
    (https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=ADD1-RY34-K4T4)

The last link goes to: How do I install the Windows Feedback Tool and file a bug

If there are any questions let us know.

Thanks

Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:54 PM
  • jeppy_fish,

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re anMSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use linkto join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

In case the link above gets messed up, the URL is below:

ADD1-RY34-K4T4
    (https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=ADD1-RY34-K4T4)

The last link goes to: How do I install the Windows Feedback Tool and file a bug

If there are any questions let us know.

Thanks

i cant use anything in windows developer preveiw so how is this going to help?
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:05 PM
  • Jeppy_fish,

Sorry, I should make it clearer. Use this link below for web version of feedback.  Click on Feedback on left side of page and then click on Submit Feedback button.  Please fill out details like your computer specs and your steps that you took trying to fix the issue.

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=ADD1-RY34-K4T4

Thanks!

Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:20 PM
  • Jeppy_fish,

Sorry, I should make it clearer. Use this link below for web version of feedback.  Click on Feedback on left side of page and then click on Submit Feedback button.  Please fill out details like your computer specs and your steps that you took trying to fix the issue.

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=ADD1-RY34-K4T4

Thanks!

aha sorry i just didnt understand what you meant :/ i will do that now. thanks
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:56 PM
  • Ooo! If you are having this problem with the Windows 7 x64 Nvidia driver (or similar), there is a beta 285.38? that seems to have corrected it for me. Soooo pleased, thanks Nvidia!
    Friday, October 07, 2011 12:51 PM
  • When I tryed to install that 285.38 nVidia driver on the devoloper preview it came up with error message operating system not compatable.

I did however have the same black screen problems using a FX5590 Graphics card but the problem didnt start until I installed the nVidia driver. removing it and letting windows re-insall the driver without all the other nVida software worked.

I have since upgraded my graphics card to a 7800GS and ive not had a single black screen since and as nVidia drivers for windows 7 are only released for 6 series cards and onwards that didnt surprise me much that this might be the case for the developer preview too. 

Sunday, October 09, 2011 8:11 PM
  • Ooo! If you are having this problem with the Windows 7 x64 Nvidia driver (or similar), there is a beta 285.38? that seems to have corrected it for me. Soooo pleased, thanks Nvidia!

i dont know if its my graphics drivers, but even if it was, i cant see past the black screen so i cant install new drivers anyway.

if it helps im running: Win7 Ultimate 32-Bit on:

Intel P4 3.40 GHz

3.39GHz. 1.75GB Ram

nVidia GeForce 6200 TurboCache

C-Media HD Audio

Medion TV-Tuner 7134

AV/Composite/S-Video/Multi-Card Reader

2x DVD-RW Drives

240GB HD

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:49 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem as you. I've tried nearly everything here in this topic but I still can not access my users. It worked once and one time only that it displayed the menu for the Windows Developer preview after logging on. I really need some help here as my Dell XPS laptop has been rendered virtually useless. Sorry to bump an old topic, but unless I can do something about this, most of my data will be gone as I do not know if I have all of my stuff backed up. Any help here would be much appreciated now as I am at a loss as to what do. :(
    Monday, December 19, 2011 2:12 PM
  • Hey Malamo999,

Are you able to follow these steps (once you have logged in and are seeing the black screen) to open the Task Manager:

• Press Ctrl + Alt + Del on your keyboard
    • Click Task Manager

If so, try starting the task explorer.exe to see if you can access Windows Explorer or if the rest of the user interface is loaded:

• Click File
    • Click New Task (Run...)
    • In the Open: field, type explorer.exe
    • Click OK

Then let us know if you are able to access your files using Windows Explorer or if the rest of the log in process is triggered and you gain access to your user account again.

Steven
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 11:24 PM
  • Hi jeppy-fish,

you may try booting from the WDP disk, instead of choosing to install, select the Repair option and then go ahead by trying different repair options. You may try the Reset if all else fails.

Irfan
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:53 PM
  • jeppy, I've been looking at this question for a while. I know the answer! Well, I think something was changed in your explorer .dll files. That's why windows explorer won't start. I'll tell you the solution but first, you can still access all your applications by holding CTRL+ALT+DELETE(DEL). Then click on Task Manager and click new task. From there, you can start a new program. Also, to see if explorer even started, click on the processes tab. If you scroll down and you don't see explorer.exe, Windows explorer hasn't started. So, try to go start a new task going to C:\Windows\explorer.exe . Another solution is starting C:\Windows\explorer_backup.exe . The best solution is to do a system restore. But that might not work since you're saying that there was a black screen even when you refreshed you're system. Also, you can try to run Mozilla Firefox (not any other browser). Browse to a picture and right click on it. Click on "Set as desktop background". Then, if the the windows that lets you select how you want to put the background, click on color and change it to a bright color. Then restart and if that color comes up, your computer has started successfully but not explorer. Finally, a risky solution is to replace the .dll files via the command prompt using Windows 7 .dll files. I'm not sure if it will work because Windows 8 has a Ribbon UI for explorer.exe . So take all the explorer frame.dll files and save them to a flash drive. Then go to command prompt, C:\Windows\cmd.exe . Use this site to help replace the files. Just to make sure you can use the link: http://ss64.com/nt/replace.html . So good luck and I hope this helps! PLease post your feedback and tell me what happened!
    • Proposed as answer by PrplNinja Sunday, December 25, 2011 1:21 PM
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 1:21 PM
  • For me this started happening after I installed the Intel GMA500 Win7 display drivers. Suddenly the PC thinks two displays are connected. I could sometime kind of get it to work when in "extend" mode and get a desktop. If I set the 'right' display to be primary, I would get the black screen again.

Then I tried disabling the "wrong" display in Device Manager, and now I haven't been able to recover from that since. I also used to be able to use the start screen via remote desktop, but that also broke after that change. All I got now is a black screen and a cursor, plus whatever few options CTRL+ALT+DEL gives me.

Monday, December 26, 2011 11:54 PM
  • Hello jeppy_fish,

Are you still experiencing this issue or did any of the suggestion help with your black screen issue?
    Please reply back with an update on your issue.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:52 PM
  • I have exact the same experience after I have promoted the server to a domain controller. Server works fine both Active Directory and DNS, that is the two installed roles.

1, then I end explorer in taskmanager and restarted it can I see the desktop for one sec then black again.

2, I get the black screen then I boot in safe mode as well.

At least it runs two other instance of win8srv on the same hyper-v host, they do not have this problem.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/7e1228b5-c9ef-4bd2-aade-6cfabe259664/
    Martin Skorvald Elevation AB
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 12:13 AM
  • Hey Malamo999,

Are you able to follow these steps (once you have logged in and are seeing the black screen) to open the Task Manager:

• Press Ctrl + Alt + Del on your keyboard
    • Click Task Manager

If so, try starting the task explorer.exe to see if you can access Windows Explorer or if the rest of the user interface is loaded:

• Click File
    • Click New Task (Run...)
    • In the Open: field, type explorer.exe
    • Click OK

Then let us know if you are able to access your files using Windows Explorer or if the rest of the log in process is triggered and you gain access to your user account again.

Steven

Hi,

(Sorry for talking so long to respond. I figured the only solution, at the time, was to reinstall Windows 7, so I could actually use my computer again.)

I opened Task Manager and I saw 'explorer.exe' was there, before I read that. I tried to stop it running, once, but it just flashed as if the desktop was there and went back to the normal black screen. I don't think it would have sorted it by opening up a program that was already running, but thanks anyway, though.

Saturday, December 31, 2011 11:14 AM
  • Hi Morten Nielson,

can you not once again go to the Device Manager via Task Manager and try to enable / update your display driver from there ?

Irfan
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 12:41 PM
  • Hi Morten Nielson,

can you not once again go to the Device Manager via Task Manager and try to enable / update your display driver from there ?

Irfan

I've tried that several times, and also reinstalled the entire OS. The same thing happens the moment I install the display driver. I cannot go to device manager from task manager (restarting explorer.exe doesn't have any effect)
    Sunday, January 01, 2012 12:44 AM
  • Hello Morten Nielson

please try this via your Device Manager, if you can access it: Task Manager-  File- New Task Run-  mmc compmgmt.msc in the Run box to open the Device Manager, Update Driver - Browse my computer for driver software--Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer-Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware- Under the Show compatible hardware you have a list of drivers, you also have Microsoft basic Display Adapter. Please try all drivers given there and see if it helps. 

Regards,

Irfan
    Sunday, January 01, 2012 4:40 AM