Installation gets to "getting devices ready" then stops

Question

• Hi,

I have Windows 8 running on my laptop but then I wanted to put it on my desktop, specs as follows:

Gigabyte ga-x58-ud3r Rev. 2.0

12gb 1366mhz RAM

Intel Core i7 First Generation

1 OCZ Agility 2 64gb SSD

1 OCZ Vertex 2 64gb SSD (the 2 were in a RAID 0 setup, I tried installing without but it still didn't work)

NVidia GTX480 graphics card

I am trying to install Windows 8 Developer Preview 64bit with Developer Tools. The installation goes fine up until the point when it reboots and starts "getting devices ready" stage. This part gets to 15% then the screen goes black and in a couple seconds the computer reboots. When it turns back on it plays through the Developer Preview boot animation then goes to a black screen with the mouse. It just stays like this until I force shut down by holding the power button.

Any help getting my setup working is much appreciated!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:17 AM

Answers

• Hey Vinnie Magro,

You may want to test if reverting to a non-beta BIOS for your motherboard and then reinstalling Windows Developer Preview encounters the same problem.

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS/UEFI settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Steven
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 1:45 AM

All replies

• It sounds like Windows Developer Preview is hanging on the driver installation for the graphics card. Since your motherboard doesn’t have an onboard graphics card, try the following. If you have a different video card, try swapping that out. Also, just to try to eliminate any further hardware driver variables, try to install Windows Developer Preview with only one OCZ Agility SSD. (No RAID) Do you still get a blank screen on reboot?

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:19 PM
    Answerer
  • I do have another graphics card but it's in a home theater pc so I would prefer not to take it out, but I guess that's the only option. After it didn't work with the first 3 installations I unplugged everything from my computer except for the graphics card and one SSD. It still did not work. If I did use a different graphics card during the installation, how could I go back to the other one? Would I just install the NVidia driver when it boots up and then switch the cards out when I shut it down?
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Exactly so. See if that works... Let me know!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:00 PM
    Answerer
  • I have the same problem with Windows 8 Developer Preview 64bit - "getting devices ready". I have tried several times to install from DVD and USB and each time it stopped on different percent (85%, 90%, 74%, 15%, ...). PC wasn’t responding. Only hard reset by power button.

Asus P8Z68-V Pro, Intel Core i5-2500K, 2x4Gb DDR 3 Kingston 1600Mhz, OCZ Vertex 3 120Gb, Sapphire Radeon HD 6770.

Switching to internal intel video and default BIOS settings didn't help.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 9:41 AM
  • It turns out that an HDMI cable was connected to my graphics card and it was trying to display on that even though there was nothing on the other end. So Windows 8 is installed now, but every time I turn on my computer, it plays the animation, then it goes to a blank black screen, at which point I have to hard reset the computer, afterwards it works perfectly. It's not a huge deal, but it's very inconvenient and I would be very happy to get this resolved.
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 4:40 PM
  • Hey Vinnie Magro,

If you haven't already, try downloading/installing the latest driver available from NVIDEA which can be found in the link below.
    Drivers - Download NVIDEA Drivers

If the driver doesn't install successfully, try using the compatibility troubleshooter to see if it can help the driver to install properly. You can do this by:

• Right click the driver installer you downloaded using the link above
    • Click Troubleshoot compatibility

Then answer the questions that the compatibility troubleshooter will ask.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Monday, September 26, 2011 8:25 PM
  • My thoughts exactly. Just before I saw your post, I installed the latest driver from NVidia, but it still has this problem. Before I installed the driver, I enabled Safe Mode with msconfig, so now I have 2 boot options, but I noticed that the first time I turn it on, it doesn't even reach the blue boot menu. When I hard reset it works fine, but it's pretty annoying. As a side note I have the latest BIOS from Gigabyte that is a beta version that enabled UEFI support.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:15 AM
  • Hey Vinnie Magro,

When your computer restarts and you don't see the blue menu, try disconnecting your video input and reconnecting it to see if that shows the blue screen. Also if you have any extra connections similar to that solution you described in your previous reply, try removing those to see if the blue screen is displayed.

Steven
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:02 AM
  • That still doesn't work.
    Friday, September 30, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Hey Vinnie Magro,

You may want to test if reverting to a non-beta BIOS for your motherboard and then reinstalling Windows Developer Preview encounters the same problem.

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS/UEFI settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Steven
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 1:45 AM