Windows 8 installation gets stuck at preparing devices stage at 68 - 76%

Question

• Hello,

Windows 8 installation gets stuck at preparing devices stage (or something like that) in 68-76%. The circular loading animation freezes and after a while computer stops doing anything. If I restart the computer the setup tells that it has failed and needs to be started all over again. I have tried two times to different hard drives (SSD and HDD). Any clues what can be causing the problem?

I tried to install x64 with developer tools.

Using:

• Asus Gene-Z Z68 with Intel i5-2500K
    • nVidia GTX 460
    • Mouse, keyboard, no other devices except the integrated ones
    • Samsung 46D8000 connected via HDMI

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:35 PM

Answers

• Hey Mn-wa,

Experiencing the same error at the same percentage on multiple machines is a sign that the disk you are using didn't burn properly or the .ISO that was used was corrupted. Try downloading a new copy of the version of Windows Developer Preview that you'd like to install from the link below:
    Windows Developer Preview Downloads

Once your download has finished, try burning the new .ISO to a different disk to see if that disk encounters the same problem.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 9:09 PM

All replies

• Hmm, it sounds like it can't install certain drivers for your devices.  Try this, disconnect any devices (usb or otherwise, if you will) that are not vital to running windows.  Keep devices such as mouse, keyboard, monitor (try to plug into vga if you have it) and, perhapse, graphics card (unless the MoBo has integrated graphics) but try to remove as much else as you can before retrying.

If it STILL fails, install the x32 bit version as I, personally, have found that build much more stable, even with my x64 system. 

Finally, make sure you have AT LEAST 2 gigs of RAM before trying to install windows 8 as it needs at least that much to run.

If it doesn't work, then it might just be your motherboard's compatibility that it causing the problem.  In this case, go into the BIOS and see if there is any conflict there.

I hope this works out for you and the best of luck to you

• Proposed as answer by Dyskmasterj Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:28 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:28 PM
  • I disabled everything, including usb ports that could be disabled, but it did not help. Well, maybe I just wait for the next beta...
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:05 PM
  • I disabled everything, including usb ports that could be disabled, but it did not help. Well, maybe I just wait for the next beta...

Hi, have you tried to install it from USB?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:13 PM
  • I always install os from usb. Installing from DVD is waste...

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:39 PM

So, maybe your ISO file is corrupt, try downloading it again and see what happen using USB and /or DVD drive.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:41 PM

So, maybe your ISO file is corrupt, try downloading it again and see what happen using USB and /or DVD drive.

I have already downloaded every possible version.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:26 PM
  • I don't know who marked that as an answer but it wasn't.
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 3:40 PM
  • Hey Asgard,

If you haven't already, try checking the Asus to see if they have any updates for your motherboard's BIOS by using the link below and finding your specific motherboard under the products heading.
    ASUSTeK Computers Inc.

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS/UEFI settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 12:37 AM
  • It is not the version you are downloading but the download may have become corrupted.

See the following thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/ae3be171-7ce1-457c-a219-03d8291e7eb2
    Marilyn
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:18 PM
  • I had the exact same problem (stuck after 67%):
    (1) on a Toshiba notebook which came with Vista and I had installed Windows 7 later on w/o any issues, but no luck with Windows 8
    (2) on a Dell deskktop which came with Vista and I had installed Windows 7 later on w/o any issues, but no luck with Windows 8

MN-WA
    • Edited by mn-wa Saturday, October 15, 2011 9:41 AM
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 9:36 AM
  • Hey Mn-wa,

Experiencing the same error at the same percentage on multiple machines is a sign that the disk you are using didn't burn properly or the .ISO that was used was corrupted. Try downloading a new copy of the version of Windows Developer Preview that you'd like to install from the link below:
    Windows Developer Preview Downloads

Once your download has finished, try burning the new .ISO to a different disk to see if that disk encounters the same problem.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 9:09 PM