none
PowerPoint 2013 issue with standard Save As dialog

Question

• I have been using the standard save as dialog in PowerPoint to validate the user selection before allowing the operation. This is done from an add-in using the code (snippet):

Microsoft.Office.Core.FileDialog dialog = powerpointApp.FileDialog[MsoFileDialogType.msoFileDialogSaveAs];
    dialog.Show();
    // validate dialog.SelectedItems and if OK...
    dialog.Execute();

This has been working fine in PowerPoint 2010. However, under PowerPoint 2013, the Execute operation does not result in the file saved in the selected location even though no errors are generated. Does anyone have this working under 2013?

Thursday, August 15, 2013 12:26 AM

Answers

• Found the issue. PowerPoint 2013 does not allow the code to be called from within the PresentationBeforeSave callback function - no error/exception is thrown but no file is stored on the file system. The same mechanism works OK under Word and Excel 2013.
    • Marked as answer by Leigh Cymru Monday, August 19, 2013 3:41 AM
    Monday, August 19, 2013 3:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Leigh,

I created a taskPane add-in and add your code in a button click event. My lab machine is working on Window 7 and

Office 2013. It seemed to no problem like below fingue:

Did you install Office 2010 and Office 2013 on your machine?

You can check wether the add-in was loaded by Powerpoint like below fingue.

Sunday, August 18, 2013 8:41 AM
  • Yes the addin is loaded and runs - I have been debugging through the code to investigate the issue. 

You show the Save dialog opening up but is the file actually created on the file system? The Save dialog appears when I do the dialog.Show(), but when I do the dialog.Execute() the file is not created on the file system (only for PowerPoint 2013 - same code works ok in Office 2010).

Sunday, August 18, 2013 10:12 PM
  • Found the issue. PowerPoint 2013 does not allow the code to be called from within the PresentationBeforeSave callback function - no error/exception is thrown but no file is stored on the file system. The same mechanism works OK under Word and Excel 2013.
    • Marked as answer by Leigh Cymru Monday, August 19, 2013 3:41 AM
    Monday, August 19, 2013 3:40 AM