How to change WebTestResults file location?

Question

• Hi,

I am running load test on the remote controller and during the test it creates WebTestResult files in C:\Windows\Temp directory. I am wondering is there anyway to change this location in any config file? I have already changed the location for WorkingDirectory in Controller config file but I could not find any thing about WebTestResults temp files.

Thanks,

Performance Engineer

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 10:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Jack,

I tried changing working directory in both QTAgent and QTAgent32 config files but it didn't work so I had to set Temp enviornment variable to other drive and it worked so for now I will go with this change.

Thanks

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Performance,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

Do you mean that you want to change the location of the WebTestResults TRX files?

If so, we can use /resultsfile switch to specify the location where you want the result file to be saved. For more detailed information, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms182489(v=vs.80).aspx .

Reference: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vstswebtest/thread/c5a1d7fe-ec31-48dd-ae87-26b922ed9baa

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, March 08, 2012 6:34 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Thanks for your reply. Can you set this option within Visual Studio when you run your test on remote machine?

Thanks

Thursday, March 08, 2012 1:31 PM
  • Hi Performance,

Glad to receive your reply.

We can set it locally. I want to make sure that:  Do you mean that you want to get the web WebTestResults TRX files in the Agent machine? We try to run it with two computers,

PC1: VS2010 Ultimate

PC2: The Controller and the Agent

We get the .trx files in the PC1. As you said, then we change the Working Directory in the Controller config file, the .trx files is in the PC1.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Friday, March 09, 2012 5:49 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the confusion.

Actually when I run 200 virtual users load test from VS2010 machine (PC1) during the test on The controller and Agent box (which is PC2)  it creates lots of Webtestresult files in c:\windows\temp folder. Now this files are so big that there is no room left on the c drive and then test fails. I have already changed Working Directory in Controller and Agent config files on PC2 and I do see temporary folders for each load test with folders called Deployment and Results in new working directory location but still this WebTestResult files gets created in c:\Windows\temp so I was wondering if there is any way to relocate this files as well.

Thanks

Friday, March 09, 2012 12:41 PM
  • Hi Performance,

Glad to receive your reply.

I’m not very sure that whether they are the WebTestResult .trx files. It seems that the WebTestResult files are not the .trx files, do you mean that it is the Temp files like *.DAT files?

If so, like this thread posted by MIR077, I agree with Anuj’s suggestion, the temp files don’t impact our web tests’ result, I delete it, it works normally. Of course, you can take a backup before deleting. Check it.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Monday, March 12, 2012 2:38 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Yes it is .dat files. The file name is like WebTestResult.0deec702-5746-4786-8dc0-fc53580494c4.dat which gets created while the test is running and I cannot delete this files while the test is running and my c: drive is running out of disk space when the test is running so is there a way to relocate it on other drive?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:37 PM
  • This is in the Quick Ref Guide (http://vsptqrg.codeplex.com/).

The loadtestitemsresults.dat file is created by the QTAgent or QTAgent32 process. You should add the key WorkingDirectory to QTAgent.exe.config and/or QTAgent32.exe.config to point to the right drive.

For example, add

<add key="WorkingDirectory" value="D:\Logs"/>to the appSettings section.

For Visual Studio 2010, see http://blogs.msdn.com/lkruger/archive/2009/06/08/visual-studio-team-test-load-agent-goes-64-bit.aspx for more information about when QTAgent.exe or QTAgent32.exe is used.

http://blogs.msdn.com/rogeorge

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:19 PM
  • Thanks for Robert’s help.

Hi Performance,

As Robert’s suggestion, I add <add key="WorkingDirectory" value="E:\Test Results"/> to the QTController.exe.config file, I get the Deployment and Results folders in E:\Test Results…, but I don’t find other files in the Webtestresult files in c:\windows\temp folder. If you use a certain tool to clean your computer, whether it has these files? Try to restart the Controller and the Agent and check it. It seems that if we change the .config file, we would restart them, and then it works normally. If possible, you can check it.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:28 AM
  • Hi Performance,

Could you get useful information from our replies? Have you solved this issue?

If not, please let us know the latest news about this issue.

Thank you for your understanding!

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Monday, March 19, 2012 4:24 AM
  • Hi Jack,

I tried changing working directory in both QTAgent and QTAgent32 config files but it didn't work so I had to set Temp enviornment variable to other drive and it worked so for now I will go with this change.

Thanks

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:02 PM
  • Hi Performance,

Glad to receive your reply.J

Actually, I try to change the QTController.exe.config file. If possible, you could check it.

So I had to set Temp environment variable to other drive and it worked so for now I will go with this change.

I mark your reply as the answer.

Have a nice day,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:48 AM