Installation: Error 1001

Question

• I am trying to install the GAT June 2006 release (from http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/teamsystem/aa718949.aspx)

The installation fails with: Error 1001. Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.

I am attaching the part of the msiexec log file at the place where the error occurs:

InstallFiles: File: SampleLibrary.csproj,  Directory: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Guidance Automation Toolkit\Templates\Solutions\Projects\GuidancePackage\Templates\Projects\SampleLibrary\,  Size: 1607
    InstallFiles: File: header.gif,  Directory: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Guidance Automation Toolkit\Templates\Overview\,  Size: 10603
    Action 13:16:19: CreateShortcuts. Creating shortcuts
    CreateShortcuts: Shortcut: GUIDAN~2|Guidance Automation Toolkit
    Action 13:16:19: _263C9D04_FAA3_43AF_97EB_B8CB2DD65611.commit.
    Action 13:16:19: _094F52D9_F262_407A_BC94_6E896135631F.rollback.
    Action 13:16:19: _26E8EBA5_8A31_45E2_9613_3320703192DF.install.
    DEBUG: Error 2835:  The control ErrorIcon was not found on dialog ErrorDialog
    The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2835. The arguments are: ErrorIcon, ErrorDialog,
    Error 1001. Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.
    MSI (s) (08!E8) [13:16:27:921]:
    DEBUG: Error 2769:  Custom Action _26E8EBA5_8A31_45E2_9613_3320703192DF.install did not close 1 MSIHANDLEs.
    The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2769. The arguments are: _26E8EBA5_8A31_45E2_9613_3320703192DF.install, 1,
    Action ended 13:16:28: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
    Action 13:16:28: Rollback. Rolling back action:
    Rollback: _26E8EBA5_8A31_45E2_9613_3320703192DF.install
    Rollback: _094F52D9_F262_407A_BC94_6E896135631F.rollback
    Rollback: _263C9D04_FAA3_43AF_97EB_B8CB2DD65611.commit
    Rollback: Creating shortcuts
    Rollback: Copying new files
    Info 1903. Scheduling reboot operation: Deleting file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies\TBD8E8.tmp. Must reboot to complete operation.
    Rollback: Removing ODBC components
    Rollback: Updating component registration
    Action ended 13:16:31: INSTALL. Return value 3.
    Action ended 13:16:31: ExecuteAction. Return value 3.
    Action 13:16:31: FatalErrorForm.
    Action start 13:16:31: FatalErrorForm.
    DEBUG: Error 2826:  Control Line2 on dialog FatalErrorForm extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 3 pixels
    The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2826. The arguments are: FatalErrorForm, Line2, to the right
    DEBUG: Error 2826:  Control BannerBmp on dialog FatalErrorForm extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 3 pixels
    The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2826. The arguments are: FatalErrorForm, BannerBmp, to the right
    DEBUG: Error 2826:  Control Line1 on dialog FatalErrorForm extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 3 pixels
    The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2826. The arguments are: FatalErrorForm, Line1, to the right
    Action 13:16:31: FatalErrorForm. Dialog created
    Action ended 13:16:36: FatalErrorForm. Return value 1.
    Action ended 13:16:36: INSTALL. Return value 3.
    === Logging stopped: 3/10/2007  13:16:36 ===
    MSI (c) (B0:CC) [13:16:36:281]: Product: Guidance Automation Toolkit -- Installation failed.

I am running XP SP2, with VS 2005 Team Suite.

Any help would be appreciated

Saturday, March 10, 2007 12:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Tadej,

We haven't hit that error before. Are you running XP or Vista? Are you running any betas or CTPs?

Also, that method where the error is apparently happening does a lot of file reading/writing, generating temporal files and folders and then deleting them. Can you try running one of the file system watchers tools (I would recommend Process Explorer -now from MS-) in order to check if there are file operations that may be failing (i.e. permission issue, etc). My guess is this may have be related to file IO.

Let me know what you find out.

thanks,
    -Victor.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 11:50 PM
  • Hi Tadej,

Did you get any luck with this? Btw, are you using the 32bit or 64bit XP SP2?

thanks,
    -Victor.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 6:31 AM
  • The investigation with the Process Explorer showed me, that setup is accessing some files belonging to VS 2003.

Then I manually deleted all files from previous versions of VS and manually removed all accourences from registry and retried...

It finally worked !!!!

What is the official statement about running GAT in parallel with VS 2003?

Sunday, April 08, 2007 12:58 PM

All replies

• From what I could debug/disassemble so far, it seems to me that exception is coming from: Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.CTC.ProvideMenuResourceAttribute.Register()

Any idea what is going on in there?

Monday, March 12, 2007 12:11 AM
  • The same story occurs with the Feb 2007 relese.

Install proceeds normally, the files are copied and then... the installutil.exe window pops up for a fraction of second and then it always fails with the "Invalid object state" exception.

Can someone explain what is going on during installation? The stack trace points me to the ProvideMenuResourceAttribute.Register() method, which is doing some things with a "CTC file" which seems to have something to do with menus.

I would appreciate any help in tracking down the problem, since I am trying to install this thing for almost a week and I am thinking about giving up the whole GAX/GAT thing...

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 8:27 PM
  • Hi Tadej,

We haven't hit that error before. Are you running XP or Vista? Are you running any betas or CTPs?

Also, that method where the error is apparently happening does a lot of file reading/writing, generating temporal files and folders and then deleting them. Can you try running one of the file system watchers tools (I would recommend Process Explorer -now from MS-) in order to check if there are file operations that may be failing (i.e. permission issue, etc). My guess is this may have be related to file IO.

Let me know what you find out.

thanks,
    -Victor.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 11:50 PM
  • Hi Victor.

Here is the config: XP SP2, VS Team Suite 2005. I DEinstalled ReSharper, WCF/WPF/WF extensions and even reinstalled the Team Suite - nothing helped. I am running the setup as an administrator, so I do not belive IO is a problem. I will try the proces explorer, but I do not expect to find something meaningfull.

My biggest problem is, that the stuff installs on a clean machine (Virtual PC image + VS only), but not on my working machine. I tried to reinstall the VS, but reinstalling the whole desktop is not an option. I can also not request from my collegues to use it in our new projects, if I am not certain we can even install it.

KR
    Tadej

Thursday, March 15, 2007 6:03 AM
  • Hi Tadej,

Did you get any luck with this? Btw, are you using the 32bit or 64bit XP SP2?

thanks,
    -Victor.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 6:31 AM
  • No luck :-(

32 bit

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 8:20 AM
  • btw, did you got to try process explorer?
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 5:00 PM
  • What exactly do you mean by that? I mean: what should I check with process explorer?
    Saturday, March 24, 2007 1:18 PM
  • You mentioned you're getting an exception in "ProvideMenuResourceAttribute.Register()" method. That methods does quite a bit of file IO so there is a chance that some of them may be failing, if you monitor this with Process Explorer it will list all file operations performed by the installutil and the result of each one.

Also, do you have a complete stack trace to post? That may help the guessing game too.

thanks,
    -Victor.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 12:02 AM
  • Sorry, it took so long to answer - thhis week many things were going on...

The exception stack is appended at the bottom.

I'll also try with the process explorer, but I can hardly imagine any of the operations to fail...

KR

Tadej

Exception Stack:

Running a transacted installation.

Beginning the Install phase of the installation.
    See the contents of the log file for the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies\Microsoft.Practices.ServiceFactory.Asmx.Installer.dll assembly's progress.
    The file is located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies\Microsoft.Practices.ServiceFactory.Asmx.Installer.InstallLog.

An exception occurred during the Install phase.
    System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.
       at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.CTC.ProvideMenuResourceAttribute.Register()
       at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Registration.GuidancePackageRegistrationAttribute.Register(RegistrationContext context)
       at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.RecipeFrameworkInstaller.RegisterInternal(RecipeFrameworkRegContext context, Boolean register)
       at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.RecipeFrameworkInstaller.RegisterPackage(InstallContext installContext, Boolean register, GuidancePackage packageConfig)
       at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.RecipeFrameworkInstaller.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.IHostInstaller.InstallPackage(InstallContext context, GuidancePackage packageConfig)
       at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.ManifestInstaller.InstallPackage(String configuration)
       at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.ManifestInstaller.Install(IDictionary stateSaver)
       at System.Configuration.Install.Installer.Install(IDictionary stateSaver)
       at System.Configuration.Install.AssemblyInstaller.Install(IDictionary savedState)
       at System.Configuration.Install.Installer.Install(IDictionary stateSaver)
       at System.Configuration.Install.TransactedInstaller.Install(IDictionary savedState)

Saturday, March 31, 2007 11:46 AM
  • The investigation with the Process Explorer showed me, that setup is accessing some files belonging to VS 2003.

Then I manually deleted all files from previous versions of VS and manually removed all accourences from registry and retried...

It finally worked !!!!

What is the official statement about running GAT in parallel with VS 2003?

Sunday, April 08, 2007 12:58 PM
  •  The initial post to this message was almost 2 years ago,  but wanted to post my fix I found for this problem.  

I experienced the same error while trying to create a Visual Studio Setup project for a Windows Service.

History:
    During the development process,  I built a windows form,  for the purpose of debuging and once completed,
      I created a new project in the same solution for a windows service.  

The problem apparently occured, when I build the Windows Service Project and the Visual Studio Setup project before
    debugging the new Windows Service.    In the Windows Service project, there were reference to System.Drawing, 
    that apparently got pulled into the VS Setup Project.    I found a Using reference in the ProjectInstall.cs class. 

Upon seeing this I knew that this was not valid and was going to be a problem.   
    The moral to this story..   completely debug your Windows Service project before starting to build the Setup project. 

I removed the ProjectInstaller.cs and VS Setup project,  rebuild and worked fine.  

Monday, February 23, 2009 8:35 PM