Problem deleting registry default value under user shell folders

Question

• i ran into a problem of installing microsoft visual c# 2010 express and browsing some of the threads i found this article 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549#appliesto  

Now, it says if the table given does not match with registry entries ,you should delete that name-value pair. In my case ( running win7) 

I have (Default) = (no value set)   as my first name-value pair ,but the table in the article doesn't lists it . So i tried deleting it but it throws an error "unable to delete all specified values ".  is this a problem with windows ?

• Moved by Rob Pan Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:25 AM (From:Visual C++ Express Edition)
    Friday, February 17, 2012 10:36 AM

Answers

• Hi kvmhjn,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

For the error "The application folder for Visual Studio couldn't be created".

Have you tried these steps to make sure you have admin privilege? You can try these steps:

1. Try to run your installation by right click your setup and choose "run as admininstrator".

2. Try to use another user accout. May be your user profile is corrupt.

3. Try to add admin privilege to your user accout:

a.Right-click on My Computer
            b.Click on Manage
            c.Expand Local Users and Groups
            d.Click on Groups
            e.Double click on Administrators
            f.Click on Add 
            g.Enter the account name on this machine that you want to assign administrative privileges to.
    If you have any updates, please feel free to let me konw.

Best regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:55 AM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 5:30 AM

All replies

• In a way yes, you see you can't delete the default value. This is a rule of Windows, so in some way you could class this as a "problem".

Anyway, this forum is for Visual C++. Further more this is a setup question so you are better of asking this in the Visual Studio Setup and Install forum.

This is a signature

Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Friday, February 17, 2012 6:09 PM
  • i ran into a problem of installing microsoft visual c# 2010 express and browsing some of the threads i found this article 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549#appliesto  

Now, it says if the table given does not match with registry entries ,you should delete that name-value pair. In my case ( running win7) 

I have (Default) = (no value set)   as my first name-value pair ,but the table in the article doesn't lists it . So i tried deleting it but it throws an error "unable to delete all specified values ".  is this a problem with windows ?

Saturday, February 18, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Before posting i changed the forum to post the thread in . Don't know  why it din't take effect ,anyways i just asked the question again in setup and install forum . Should have an option of migrate after posting !!
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 7:17 AM
  • Did you look at the Applies To list in the article you cited? There are no Visual Studio products listed.

For help with your installation issue, provide complete install logs as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E0DA314F-6216-4A18-BC6B-7D29CF83AF20&displaylang=e&displaylang=en

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:03 PM
  • I knew it .you know , it was one of the first thing i noticed but after having seen a whole lots of threads similar to these  being answered  with this link ,i just gave it a try . (thot, maybe someone forgot to udpate the page ! )  Seriously those posts should be taken down . It all leads to confusion and time wastage . 

And  the link download page says the third point as :

1. Run Collect.exe from the directory where you saved the tool to.

okay , if i simply click the EXE file to open it ,will it be the same as running the EXE from CMD ?

Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:22 PM
  • You can double-click on the Collect.exe file in Windows Explorer to run it. That's how I do it.

FWIW, it takes a while to run.

• Edited by pvdg42MVP Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:58 PM
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:28 PM
  •  here is the cab file  LINK   

• Edited by kvmhjn Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:31 PM
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:31 PM
  • I note two things in your install logs:

1. The install for .NET Framework 4.0 (a prerequisite for Visual Studio 2010) succeeded, but indicated that a reboot was required to complete the installation. Did the Visual Studio installer prompt you to reboot your system, then continue the install?

2. There was a failure attempting to install the VC++ 2008 redistributable:

"ERROR Strings (7):[Product: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.21022"

Please check the integrity of your .NET Framework 4.0 installation with this tool:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx 

Post the first and last 15 lines of tool output here.

You can also try installing the VC++ 2008 redistributable independently before retrying the Visual Studio install:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=5582 

FInally, if you were using the web installer for Visual Studio 2010 Express, I strongly recommend that you download the VSE ISO and install locally:

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/express-iso

Saturday, February 18, 2012 3:30 PM
  • Yes, it did asked for a reboot and after that the setup opened a finish window only . 

Now , VC++ 2008 has been installed even before VS . Infact , i can see 3-4 installations in my control panel for VC++ . Hope this is the normal case. And ofcourse this time i repaired the installation of VC++ (VS being still installed on PC)

Here is the LINK of  details you asked for .net framework 4 full. 

And i haven't yet  proceeded with the ISO . Infact  ihaven't uninstalled VS ,Please tell me if i have to , in case there is no other way . Thank you !

Sunday, February 19, 2012 6:59 AM
  •  I have uninstalled the visual c# express now . But still i can see the visual c++ redistibutable entries in the control panel. i understand that are required for other programs as well (and they were there before as well) but thing is i am having 6 entries for these a nd i am not sure how many were before ! .Currently there are

• 2  for 2005 c++ 
    • 4 for 2008 c++  

are these okay to have these much ? or should i delete some of 'em before proceeding with the installation of  ISO .

• Edited by kvmhjn Monday, February 20, 2012 2:11 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 2:10 PM
  • That sounds typical.

On my Win 7 x64 system with Visual Studio 2010 Ulitmate installed, I have 16 entries in the installed program list for VC++ 2005, 2008 and 2010.

I suggest you leave them as is and proceed.

Monday, February 20, 2012 2:40 PM
  • Okay, news flash ! i ran the ISO after mounting it .  i installed Visual c++ 's setup.exe . It installed successfully .

after that i ran setup.exe for VC# . but after installing it again gave the same error . seems like a problem with VC # only !!

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:28 PM
  • We'll need to see the details in the install logs.

Provide complete install logs as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E0DA314F-6216-4A18-BC6B-7D29CF83AF20&displaylang=e&displaylang=en

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:25 PM
  • Here is the Link  
    Monday, February 20, 2012 4:47 PM
  • I'm now a bit confused.

Your latest VC# Express log says this:

"Product: Microsoft Visual C# 2010 Express - ENU -- Installation completed successfully."

Monday, February 20, 2012 8:05 PM
  • when i try to run VCSexpress.exe ,it throws an error "application data  folder for visual studio cannot be created ".   Insatallation is fine . So do the log tells.
    • Edited by kvmhjn Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:49 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:47 AM
  • following second link details still produces the same error 

and i am not sure how  to do after step 3 in the first link given by you .  i am talking about the following :

4. stop the procmon.exe logging 

5. See the registry entries .  

• Edited by kvmhjn Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:31 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:28 PM
  • Infact ,i already had 4-5 days ago(i started a thread for "app data folder error " earlier and got the similar links as replies) . But still no response from him . so just asked here ! . May be you can post a picture  of step 4 and 5 . Will help a great deal !
    • Edited by kvmhjn Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:32 AM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:30 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, I'll move your thread to the correct forum for better support. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Rob

Rob Pan [MSFT]

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:25 AM
  • Hi Kvmhjn,

I strongly recommend you stop try to modify registry. You can try some general installation tips first:

First, I recommend you download ISO file of Visual C# 2010 Express from: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/express-iso

Second, please extract ISO file to your hard disk.

Third, complete or dismiss Windows Updates before installation (but turn on Windows Update service).

Then, clean up your “%temp%” folder (Start>>Run>>%temp%).

Next, check if there are any anti-virus or antispyware applications running. Make sure they are turned off during installation.

Finally, run the setup file with Administrator privileges: Right-click the installer > Run as administrator.

If the problem still exists after these steps, could you please collect the fresh logs for me?

If you have any other problems, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:05 AM
  • Hi kvmhjn,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

For the error "The application folder for Visual Studio couldn't be created".

Have you tried these steps to make sure you have admin privilege? You can try these steps:

1. Try to run your installation by right click your setup and choose "run as admininstrator".

2. Try to use another user accout. May be your user profile is corrupt.

3. Try to add admin privilege to your user accout:

a.Right-click on My Computer
            b.Click on Manage
            c.Expand Local Users and Groups
            d.Click on Groups
            e.Double click on Administrators
            f.Click on Add 
            g.Enter the account name on this machine that you want to assign administrative privileges to.
    If you have any updates, please feel free to let me konw.

Best regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:55 AM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 5:30 AM