Editor for creating/editing XPS documents.

Question

•  

Hi,

As we have XPS viewer for viewing the XPS documents, do we have any editor for creating/editing XPS documents.

Thanks,

M.S.Basha

Friday, June 02, 2006 1:14 PM

All replies

• XamlPAD that ships with platform SDK can be used to edit and also modified XPS contents can be viewed.
    Tuesday, June 06, 2006 3:48 AM
  •  

Hi Siva,

Thanks for your reply.

How can we open a xaml file in the XamlPAD utility. As we dont have any options to open in the utility.

Secondly, I am able to extract the XPS document and made the changes to the files but i would like to again zip it back to XPS format which iam unable to do it, in order to see the changes in XPS viewer.

How can we zip the contents back to xps document format.. ??

Thanks

M.S.Basha

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 6:46 AM
  • If I am understanding your question correctly, I do not think you will be able to re-zip the file.  In "XPS Documents: A First Look at APIs for Creating XML Paper Specification Documents" under Navigating Through an XPS Document, the paper indicates that you will not be able to directly modify the existing XPS document.  The author recommends reading in the existing document into your application, making the changes, then writing them out to a new document.  From that, it would seem that you would have to save the new document then point your viewer to the new document in order to see the changes.

If you do find a method to make your edits visible without going through the procedure I suggest above, please post it as it would be quite helpful to a project I am working on.  Thanks!
    Sunday, June 11, 2006 12:16 AM
  • To edit the Fixed page contents, rename .xps to .zip file and extract to find fixedpagen.fpage(where "n" is page number).It starts with page width and height.Copy the code and paste it to XAML pad.U can modify it.After editing place the contents back to the extracted folder,zip it and rename to .xps to view the modified fixed page contents.

Regards,

Sivakami V

• Proposed as answer by hamiltonj Friday, May 22, 2009 1:27 AM
    Monday, June 12, 2006 4:42 AM
  • One editor that is available is the NiXPS edit application.  It allows editing of XPS documents both on a high level object basis with WYSIWYG interface and on the low level XML basis using the document browser.

It is available at http://nixps.com/

(disclaimer: I am affiliated with this product)

Best Regards,
    Kristof
    Friday, July 18, 2008 9:01 AM
  •  M S Basha wrote:

Hi Siva,

Thanks for your reply.

How can we open a xaml file in the XamlPAD utility. As we dont have any options to open in the utility.

Secondly, I am able to extract the XPS document and made the changes to the files but i would like to again zip it back to XPS format which iam unable to do it, in order to see the changes in XPS viewer.

How can we zip the contents back to xps document format.. ??

Thanks

M.S.Basha

Hi,

XPS is based on OPC, so you can use OPC (Open Packaging Convention) to read/write/change directly the xml of a XPS file or adding/deleting resources/creating relationship between the parts etc. ...

Just have a look at the Packaging classe (like Package/PackagePart) in System.IO.Packaging (which is iirc in windowsbase.dll)

Also do a search for OPC, Package or PackagePart here in the forum/MSDN or on a searchengine you prefer...

hope it helps a bit,

Jo

Friday, July 18, 2008 12:58 PM
  • Some other options for editing that might be useful depending on what you need to achieve...

You can use a standard zip utility, including the ZIP support in Windows Explorer, to zip up modified content. There's also comprehensive support for OPC (the container used by XPS) and XPS Documents in .Net 3.0 and later.

HTH /adrian

Friday, July 25, 2008 7:34 AM
  • WTF!!  It costs $99 for NiXPS View and $300 for NiXPS??  Forget it!  I'm not paying $99 for a stupid XPS viewer!  I hope this software gets pirated!
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:14 PM
  • Hey Ultracody,

From your reaction I take it that you actually want the product, but just don't want to pay for it? Or is there another interpretation to your call to pirate our software?

If you like the software, buy it. If you do not like it, or find it too expensive, then don't buy and use it.
    But don't call for illegal actions that would drive independent hardworking software companies to the ground...

Regards,
    Nick.

Check out my cross platform xps library and tools at http://nixps.com
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:40 PM
  • I pasted the FixedPage into Blend 2.0 and it worked like a charm. Thanks!
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:32 AM
  • Hey Ultracody,

From your reaction I take it that you actually want the product, but just don't want to pay for it? Or is there another interpretation to your call to pirate our software?

If you like the software, buy it. If you do not like it, or find it too expensive, then don't buy and use it.
    But don't call for illegal actions that would drive independent hardworking software companies to the ground...

Regards,
    Nick.

Check out my cross platform xps library and tools at http://nixps.com
    I have a MUCH better idea!  Stop making ____ software and attempting to charge unkowning victims ridiculous fees (who don't know that they can get for free elsewhere)!!!! 

I hope piece of garbage CRAPware gets pirated as well!  However my hopes won't happen, because with how great google is, most people simply won't pay for it in the first place and you guys will have to back to your jobs at walmart.

Sunday, January 17, 2010 6:03 PM
  • If you like the software, buy it. If you do not like it, or find it too expensive, then don't buy and use it.

Lol, it is demands like yours that made it exists in the first place.

Saturday, October 23, 2010 12:48 AM
  • i'm liking this power struggle, its kind of a literal "rage against the machine" :P go ahead TrebleTown and UltraCody, stick it to the man!
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 12:29 AM
  • Perhaps an explanation with out useless acronyms would be more helpful.
    Saturday, March 05, 2011 11:47 PM
  • More like pi$$ing into the wind.

I'm annoyed at the company that has provided a form in this format so I can't fill it in unless I print it and write on it (you know - with a pen!)

Can't really blame companies that want to make money out of being clever enough to write software that people want, though.

Friday, July 22, 2011 1:40 AM