none
Can Project pro 2007 SP2 connect to project server 2007 SP3?

Question

• Hi there, We need to upgrade our Project Servers 2007 currently in SP2, in order to migrate data towards PS2013. However, we have a pool of 3000 Project Professional 2007 also in SP2, and a mass update of them in SP3 for a short time does not worth to be done.... Except if it is required :( This is the reason of my question: can a SP2 client connect on a SP3 server ? Thanks for your replies! Jeff Gautier, STMicroelectronics.
    • Edited by Jeff Gautier Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:37 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:28 PM

All replies

• It has been a while, but I seem to remember that this does not work.  Even if it does, you are going to have issues anyway with various operations.  Throughout project server history\versions it has always been best practice to keep clients at the same version as project server.

In 2013, you don't even have backward compatability mode anymore.

Chris

Chris Givens CEO, Architecting Connected Systems Blog Twitter

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:35 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

For migrating 2007 database  to 2013 you don't have to. But if you continue to use 2007 environment, you need to install SP3 to avoid potential data corruption issue, though its not mandatory.

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:26 AM
  • Project Professional SP2 does not have to match Project Server SP3.  It works, but it is not recommended.  Yes they can connect. 

I am not sure why you reference Project Server 2013.  Once you go to this platform, you can only use Project Professional 2013.  Which means everyone will have to upgrade.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Thursday, February 14, 2013 5:20 AM
  • I am not sure why you reference Project Server 2013.  Once you go to this platform, you can only use Project Professional 2013.  Which means everyone will have to upgrade.

Sorry my demand was confusig, I admit :)

Basically we are preparing the data migration from EPM 20007 SP2 towards PS 2013, through a temporary 2010 server, and we discovered that SP3 is a must-have for the step 2007>2010...

That's why I was asking abut client 2007 in SP2 capability to connect to Server 2007 SP3...

I mean, pushing a SP3 deployment to all users is a nightmare: It took almost 6 month for the SP2, and I do not want to waste so much time in the poor added value step...

Thanks to all for your reply!

Jeff

Friday, February 15, 2013 4:46 PM
  • My response was based on same understanding.

For your scenario you don't have to, but until all clients are upgraded to 2013, users wont be able to connect to 2013 PWA.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, February 15, 2013 4:58 PM
  • My response was based on same understanding.

For your scenario you don't have to, but until all clients are upgraded to 2013, users wont be able to connect to 2013 PWA.

Thanks, don't worry, of course we'll upgrade the full pool in 2013 for deployment...

But 2013 is another story! we are currently developping plenty of integration interfaces, custom flows... cause we take the opportunity of this upgrade for replacing some custom R&D old tool by EPM's demand management... with cost management capabilities! amazingly interesting!

Thanks again!

Jeff

Friday, February 15, 2013 5:12 PM
  • Jeff,

Glad to know that you all are excited about 2013, good luck with your migration.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Friday, February 15, 2013 5:14 PM