none
what's the difference between web data services vs web services

Answers

• A web data service, such as the Astoria web data service that you are able to create using the Astoria CTP, is a specialized form of a WCF web service that is fully aware of the nature of the data that is exposing. Being "data aware", the service able to provide additional opperations that would not be available through a general web service, such as paging.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:57 PM
  • It feels like more than just a wrapper to me, but it's a good place to start.

One thing I have in mind when thinking about this is that because there will be a particular protocol for the payloads, then it will be really easy for clients to be written to consume these services. Something like the how the WS* specs work. If you createyour services using the standards then anyone can consume them knowing that those standards are met.

So with servies that are astoria data services will know exactly how to code against it, how to query and what to expect for certain formatting. This may be way too obious to some, but I think helpful for others to get their head wrapped around it.

Back to more than a wrapper - the whole concept of how you use the URI to access the data goes beyond how you call web services. Granted I've not done much in the way of interop and am used to just calling services from within .NET clients, so I could be missing a whole chunk of knowledge about what you might be comparing this to.

Friday, September 21, 2007 5:55 PM

All replies

• A web data service, such as the Astoria web data service that you are able to create using the Astoria CTP, is a specialized form of a WCF web service that is fully aware of the nature of the data that is exposing. Being "data aware", the service able to provide additional opperations that would not be available through a general web service, such as paging.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:57 PM
  •  Anonymous563494 wrote:

I would argue there is no difference. Every web service provides data. I guess if you're looking for an accepted description then Elisa's will suffice.

-Jamie

Monday, July 09, 2007 10:46 PM
  • Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:09 AM
  •  Jamie Thomson wrote:

Anonymous563494 wrote:

I would argue there is no difference. Every web service provides data. I guess if you're looking for an accepted description then Elisa's will suffice.

-Jamie

So, can we say that it is another wrapper over web service to make it as Web Data Service?
    Friday, September 21, 2007 7:13 AM
  • It feels like more than just a wrapper to me, but it's a good place to start.

One thing I have in mind when thinking about this is that because there will be a particular protocol for the payloads, then it will be really easy for clients to be written to consume these services. Something like the how the WS* specs work. If you createyour services using the standards then anyone can consume them knowing that those standards are met.

So with servies that are astoria data services will know exactly how to code against it, how to query and what to expect for certain formatting. This may be way too obious to some, but I think helpful for others to get their head wrapped around it.

Back to more than a wrapper - the whole concept of how you use the URI to access the data goes beyond how you call web services. Granted I've not done much in the way of interop and am used to just calling services from within .NET clients, so I could be missing a whole chunk of knowledge about what you might be comparing this to.

Friday, September 21, 2007 5:55 PM