internet explorer 7 error. Please help!

Question

• Everytime I close Internet Explorer 7, I receive the following error:

[Internet Explorer has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem.]

Then a few seconds later get another message:

[A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution becomes available.]

Then internet explorer restarts. Internet explorer runs fine. I just can't get the program to close. I tried disabling add-ons. Tried to re-install internet explorer, but when I go to the download it recognizes that I already have internet explorer and will not let me download. It says that:

[Your computer already has Internet Explorer 7. It is included with Windows Vista, the operating system you are running.]

It does not show up in add/remove programs to uninstall/re-install. How can I remove this annoying error when closing Internet Explorer?  There are no current updates that I've seen to maybe try to reverse this problem.

I appreciate any help that can be offered!!! 

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 12:20 AM

All replies

•  

I am also using  IE7 but I have not  encountered with any such sort of problme. Probably, you can reinstall IE7. Any other comments?
    Thursday, August 16, 2007 10:13 AM
  • Try Disabling the UAC (User Access Control) from the Control Panel..

Also uninstall Y! and Google toolbars if present...

Hope this helps!!

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:33 PM
  • I am working with XP pro & IE7.0 - have experienced the same problems for the past 2 months - for the most part- I have been ignoring it as much as possible.

It can become very very annoying that everytime I close IE - I have to wait for the error message & close that also

I have also downloaded the updates

tried uninstall & re-install

this is a company computer

- so I haven't tried smashing it with a hammer yet.

because I am somewhat limited on what I can try

if anyone has a logical solution let me know
    Monday, August 27, 2007 2:51 PM
  •  

I am another case that has the problem and also has not found a solution. I noticed it started after I downloaded the updates for Vista. I hope someone at MS is listening.
    Saturday, September 01, 2007 2:43 PM
  • Me too. Using Vista Home Premium. was workign fine, then suddenly not. I suspect a windows update ahs caused the problem, but not sure which. I have found that if you go through control panel, internet options, Advanced and then 'Reset Internet Explorer Settings' that i can can then open IE7 -- but only once. Once I close and try to re-open it comes back toteh same problem. No probelms with Firefox.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 3:05 AM
  • Just adding my name to the list.   Closing down Internet Explorer used to work fine and I really don't know what has changed to be causing this now..........

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 12:13 AM
  •  

uninstalling yahoo toolbar and yahoo browsing ie(or something like that) , fixed it for me.
    Sunday, September 23, 2007 10:24 AM
  • Add my name to the list.

I got a laptop last week, it was working OK but a couple of days ago I started having the same problem.

It started the day I installed AT&T DSL service. Before, I was connected to my university network and it was fine. Do you think it has something to do with DSL??

I figured out that the message "the program .... stopped working, Windows is checking for a solution...." also pops out when I try to close the Roxio Easy Media Creator 7, but in this case it doesn't try to restart. Every time I open iExplorer or Roxio I get the User Account Control message "an unidentified program wants access to your computer (cancel or allow)". I tryed disabling the Account Manager Controls and now I don't get the message when opening iExplorer but it didn't fix the problem when closing.

I don't think it's the Yahoo toolbar because it was always there and it didn't cause problems before.

I also uninstalled some junk software that came pre-installed.

So far, I found thet the only way to close iExplore is to use the Task manager.

I'm hoping that somebody will find a better one.

Friday, September 28, 2007 3:50 PM
  • i suggest you try uninstalling the dsl first ,if it doesn't help try to uninstall yahoo and other toolbars or add ons to the ie 7.
    Saturday, September 29, 2007 6:14 PM
  • I also have run into this problem. It dosen't seem that anyone has a correct solution to this problem!

Saturday, October 27, 2007 2:36 PM
  • HI,

Please add my name too. I have shifted to Mozilla Firefox works million times better than IE. I beleive its the update which has caused this widespread. And to worse MICROSOFT will charge you if you call them just to add some pennies for B. GATES. We cant ignore MS OS but there are lot of other option available than their crappy softwares and its error.

Thanks
    Sunday, December 02, 2007 6:11 PM
  • See this post.

--

Regards,

Daniel Kuppitz

Sunday, December 02, 2007 6:17 PM
  • dear sir /madam

when i open some of the sites my inter net explorer jamed every time. then i ve to close every thing.

please help me with this problem. i ve down loaded ik7 internet. i am using window xp svc pack2. with p4.

thanks
    Friday, December 28, 2007 10:52 PM
  •  

Regards to all,

Follow these instructions:

Open the internet options, go to Advanced Tab, and disable the options "Enable third-party browser extensions*", and that's it.

Close your internet windows, and maybe you see the error for last time, just remember it, because will be the last.

Hasta la vista.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:54 PM
  • When I click on a link in an email it takes a while for IE to go to open, then when  I close IE I get this message:

The exception unknown software exception (0x0eedfade) occurred in the application at location 07c812a5b.

after I click OK

this error message appears:

Runtime error 217 at 03AEEAEA

any ideas what this means or how I can fix it???

Thanks

Sunday, March 16, 2008 2:39 PM
  • Hi,

I have Windows XP, Media Centre Edition, and plan on upgrading to Windows Vista soon.

I recently had a problem with Internet Explorer 7. Everytime I tried to close a window, I got an error message that said, "Internet Explorer needs to close" and  a message from "Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger" as well. This was happening all the time.

I installed Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1 to try and solve this issue, and had similar problems. I uninstalled Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1, and then I went to Internet Properties and clicked the Default option reset button for Internet Explorer 7. I noticed when I was able to open IE7, that all my toolbars were gone and I had a lot of them, Yahoo, Lexmark, MSN, Merriam-Webster, Live Search, too many actually.

I was able to close Internet Explorer 7 after this without an error message, and I hope the problem of not being able to close windows in Internet Explorer is solved. I hope this helps you..

julebran

Saturday, June 21, 2008 10:59 PM
  •  penaf wrote:

Regards to all,

Follow these instructions:

Open the internet options, go to Advanced Tab, and disable the options "Enable third-party browser extensions*", and that's it.

Close your internet windows, and maybe you see the error for last time, just remember it, because will be the last.

Hasta la vista.

This fixed the problem emmediatly! thank you so much for your help. none of the other support sites or phone numbers were any help at all, and this was a very annoying functional error.

Friday, August 15, 2008 7:36 PM
  • Hi

Thank you very much.

these instructions perfect for me.

---------
    Soe Min
    Monday, September 08, 2008 3:56 AM
  • When i try to colse the internet i have to resart it if i closing one thing but it closing all of the internet. I dont know what to do can someone help!!!!!

icarry wrote:

Everytime I close Internet Explorer 7, I receive the following error:

[Internet Explorer has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem.]

Then a few seconds later get another message:

[A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution becomes available.]

Then internet explorer restarts. Internet explorer runs fine. I just can't get the program to close. I tried disabling add-ons. Tried to re-install internet explorer, but when I go to the download it recognizes that I already have internet explorer and will not let me download. It says that:

[Your computer already has Internet Explorer 7. It is included with Windows Vista, the operating system you are running.]

It does not show up in add/remove programs to uninstall/re-install. How can I remove this annoying error when closing Internet Explorer?  There are no current updates that I've seen to maybe try to reverse this problem.

I appreciate any help that can be offered!!! 

Thursday, October 02, 2008 10:33 PM
  • Hello, all.

Thank you for your contributions to solving this irritating problem. Here's my 2 cents worth:

When I tried the "disable the options "Enable third-party browser extensions" ", it did indeeed get rid of the error message at shut down, but it also got rid of my toolbars! So, on the IE toolbar I selected Tools: Toolbars: Unlock the Toolbars and removed the check. This seems to have taken care of it. The only time I still get the error message is if I have multiple tabs open and try to close the first tab, first, but I can live with that! : )

Hope this helps others.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:50 PM
  • This solution worked, thanks! 

I was receiving an error message anytime I closed out of Windows Explorer 7.  At one time or another I remember enabeling the 3rd party brower extensions to download a program.

Sunday, November 09, 2008 4:12 PM
  • For All That Has Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 Pro I Was Getting This Error As Well And I Disabled The Trend Micro Toolbar For Internet Explorer And I Haven't Gotten The Error Since!

I Know This Is An Old Thread And All But if Your Like Me And Like Addon's then you probably don't wanna disable all addon's. Just The One's That Cause Problems!

Note: This May or May Not Work For Other Versions Trend Micro! as they may not have this bug!

Hope This Helps!

Wednesday, January 07, 2009 5:24 PM
  • Go to Tools, Internet Options, click the Advanced tab, in the browsing section uncheck the option "Enable third party Extension*"
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:55 PM