none
SQL 2008 R2 High Availability by Adding one more server to Production

Question

• We have 2 Server with Sharepoint 2010 Application working as Portal & Other with SQL 2008R2 as Database.

We got some problem & Server was down for 1 Day.

We Bought 02 New Servers to make as Backup Server for Production Environment.

Please tell me how Can i make backup/High Availability Plan for these Server so that if Server goes down users must switch to new Servers in no time.

Can i make Cluster for Running Servers? or there is any other options to make both Server high Available?

Thanks

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:23 PM

Answers

• If the SharePoint databases are running in a standalone SQL Server instance, you cannot just create a cluster out of it. The only option you have is to configure database mirroring between the content databases. For HA, you need to specify the failover server name for your content databases as defined in this TechNet article.

It is critical to first define your high availability and disaster recovery requirements for your entire farm and not just the databases. Even if you manage to switch your databases to the standby machines, if your SharePoint web front end and application servers are also down, the entire application is technically offline

Edwin Sarmiento SQL Server MVP Edwin Sarmiento SQL Server MVP
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    SQL Server High Availability and Disaster Recover Deep Dive Course

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 10:27 PM

All replies