none
Microsoft Office Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE action

Question

• I have Visual Basic 6.5 code running between an Excel 2007 workbook and a PowerPoint 2007 presentation which starts a slide show.  The workbook contains a database of items for which a PowerPoint presentation is invoked for each item processed.  Everything works fine, except I'm getting the message in the Title of this thread in the Excel application after about 1 minute and 30 seconds has elapsed in the slide show.  I assume it's some kind of timeout parameter since it's almost always 1 minute and 30 seconds.  I've tried unsuccessuflly to trap this error in the Excel VB code.  My goal is to eliminate this error message either programmatically or through Office settings so that the user will not have to respond to any message in the Excel application.  I would any appreciate any responses that can put me on the right track. 
    Friday, August 14, 2009 6:46 PM

Answers

• Hi, first turn off DisplayAlerts in Excel. If your slide show appears to hang it means that your code is passing something to Powerpoint which is taking too long to process. Usually when one office product passes control to another, and the passing program does not get any response in a given time period you get this message. The question is what is causing the delay! I normally get this message when Excel tries to run Access macros to return a recordset. Turning of alerts works because I know its just a processing issue. Not sure what would cause this with a slideshow though.

Regards

ADG
    • Marked as answer by Tim Li Friday, August 21, 2009 9:30 AM
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:29 PM