none
2011: Outlook Connector Issues

Question

• Hi everyone,

Some of the users are getting an error message when they try to setup the Outlook 2010 or Outlook 2003 connector despite being able to ping the CRM Server.

Other users don't have this issue and they are able to access the CRM server from Outlook. Can you tell me where I should be looking to solve this problem?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 3:56 PM

All replies

• You might check out this tool to help identify the issue:

http://rc.crm.dynamics.com/rc/2011/en-us/online/5.0/outlook-troubleshooting.aspx

Jason Lattimer

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 6:02 PM
  • Thanks Jason, will check it up.
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Hi HS2010,

Two things you should try:

1. Install an application called Fiddler on the computer you trying to configure the Outlook client, this will monitor the connections from the machines to the server and the errors you get you are able to check the packets for detailed information
    2. alternatively you can enable trace (diagnostic tool) to get the detailed logging.

Hope this helps

Visit my blog for CRM material, improving performance, kerberos, IFD, development tips, etc. :) http://quantusdynamics.blogspot.com

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 7:21 PM
  • Thanks for the tip Nrodri, I will try your suggestion. The users who are unable to configure the CRM Outlook connector can access CRM web client without problems. I believe the problem has to do with the Outlook connector configuration on their desktop, while other users do not have this issue and have access from the Outlook client.
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 9:45 PM
  • Nothing has worked so far to indicate the root cause of this issue.

When I tried to check the registry entry for of clients that are unable to configure the outlook connector I found that it has no values in it as compared with other clients that can access CRM from Outlook2010 (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSCRMClient). I tried unistalling MS CRM for Outlook then reinstalling again on the client but I am getting the same errror message when I try to run the configuration wizard.

Would installing rollup 7 and 8 help?

Friday, May 11, 2012 3:38 PM
  • The updates probably wouldn't hurt (update rollup 8 should include all the previous updates btw).

What is the error message you are receiving when trying to connect?

Do the users with issues have different security roles than the ones without issues? If so, are they custom roles?

Jason Lattimer

Friday, May 11, 2012 5:41 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Jason. Yes we plan to implement rollups 6, 7, and 8. This will eliminate some possibilities.

Here is the cryptic error message "There is a problem communicating with Microsoft Dynamics CRM server. The server might be unavailable. Try again later. If the problem presists, contact your system administrator".  BTW the same user who is getting the error message has access to Dynamics CRM web client.

The security roles are custom roles, other users have different roles than the one with the issue, but I don't see why the user can access the web client, any thoughts?

Regards,

Hamdy

Friday, May 11, 2012 6:11 PM
  • I would check to see if you custom role has the read permission on the Organization item under the Business Management tab. If that is OK - compare the individual permissions on this tab and maybe start a trial and error process of setting some additional permissions to see if there is an effect. 

Additionally you might enable tracing and review the log file to see a more specific error message. It can be turned on through the Diagnostics application that was installed along with the client. Some be under the All Programs -> Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 -> Diagnostics

The trace file can be found at: C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\MSCRM\Traces 

Jason Lattimer

Friday, May 11, 2012 6:24 PM