Installation of Visual Studios 2008 Visual Web Designer Express Edition Fails all the time on WinXP SP2

Question

• Every time I try to install Visual Web Designer 2008 Beta 2 Express Edition, the installation fails. I did not download the "img" file, as I did it with the actual site download. I do get the files to "download" as it seems, but when it comes to install, I get hit with errors. I understand that this is a BETA product, but for people to actually test this product, the installation process should be totally done no matter the errors, in other words, regardless of whether one gets an error or not, the installation should never fail at all. So, the only other thing that I can do is redo everything, but I doubt that that will work. This "failed" installation problem is driving me to not want to get Visual Studios 2008 Express Edition at all, but I don't want to do that since I would like to have the suite of dev tools.

If there is anyone else that has found any way to get the VWD2008 on a WinXP computer, I would really appreciate knowing the steps taken.
    Friday, July 27, 2007 7:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Did you have Beta 1 installed previously?  If so you might have to manually remove the Web Authoring component in Add/Remove Programs.

Can you post a snippet of your installation logs from the timestamp you tried to install?

1. Open Windows Explorer

2. Paste %temp% in the address bar

3. Copy the contents of DD_vns_xcor90 into this window

Friday, July 27, 2007 8:45 PM
  • Can you provide more details?  What error are you seeing? Does it fail during the download phase or during install?

I just re-installed VWD on my home machine to make sure it is still working and it did work.

-Bret

Saturday, July 28, 2007 10:47 PM
  • No need. I have it installed.
    Sunday, July 29, 2007 6:18 PM
  • I use offline installation. My config: WXP HE SP2, and also the .NET Framework 1.1 is installed.

I tried to install the WD and C# packages. They failed on the .NET Framework 3.5 installation. Any ideas ?

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 7:18 PM